Epilogue: Tomorrow, Just Like Today

Ξεκινήστε από την αρχή

Marrying Keisuke made me realize another thing and that was I felt less tied down than before. When we were dating, Keisuke and I would do everything together. But now that we were married, we became much more chilled and relaxed. Sometimes I would do a lot of yoga training and swimming on my own while he would go off running or head to the gym with Draken and others, which meant that we enjoyed our time both together and apart in a healthy way to maintain a balanced married life.

We also started doing cute new traditions like we would schedule a monthly date night after getting hitched to celebrate the anniversary of our wedding day. Each month we would take turns to organize a surprise date for each other, whether it was a secret cinema night or a breakfast picnic on the beach. Five years in and we were still on it because it gave us something cute to look forward to each month.

Married life with Keisuke was fun yet romantic and responsible. He would always make tea or coffee for both of us every morning. Dropping me off to work and then picking me up later that day from my workplace became a part of his daily routine and was now a habit of his. After-work dates were a must for us. Household chores were split equally between us but sometime he would also do a little more than usual if he noticed that I was tired or exhausted from work and needed to relax a bit. Writing little notes and letters to each other was still a thing in our day-to-day life and I was glad that this one thing still hadn't changed and remained the same in our busy lives.

On weekends or holidays, watching anime series or reading manga together while cuddling in the living room was something of a ritual nowadays whenever we decided to stay at home instead of going out on those days. We would still sometimes go on to our infamous late-night bike ride dates and feed stray cats and dogs whenever we got the time, but it wasn't a regular thing anymore like how we always did back in our teenage days, all because of work and adulthood; but whenever we did get the chance, it felt quite fun and refreshing.

Apart from all these, Keisuke also loved slow dances with me in the kitchen and he would make this thing really romantic and heartwarming for me. And talking about the kitchen, he once tried making breakfast for us and almost burned the house down and since then I never let him do anything in the kitchen anymore aside from making tea/coffee or peyoung yakisoba. Although even after everything he still asked me to teach him how to cook and the only thing he learned perfectly was the dishes that were related to noodles. And surprisingly enough, he was really good at making those dishes too; so whenever we would decide to have noodles for lunch/dinner, Keisuke would be the one preparing the meal for us that day.

After marriage, our financial life also changed and didn't remain the same as before. Our purchases and livelihoods got entwined. One's debts became the other person's debts, and one's financial success became the other's financial success (and vice versa). We became a defined unit and it made me feel safer like never. And talking about our jobs, we still supported each other's work and always consoled one another whenever we had an awful day at our workplace. After graduation, I started to work in a pharmaceutical company and also continued to seek out higher degrees like a Master's and Ph.D. while Keisuke started practicing at a veterinary clinic near the Shibuya station which wasn't far away from our old house back then. Life was a bit hard and hectic at first, but we still managed to make our marriage work in the end.

Time passed by and things were going quite smoothly in our lives when suddenly we had to come face to face with a certain complication; I got pregnant with Keisuke's child within the second year of our marriage. It wasn't like we were unhappy or anything but we were certainly very nervous back then. This was never a part of the plan for either of us. We didn't know what to do at the time. Sure by then already we were working adults in our mid-20s, but having kids and raising them was a whole new experience and responsibility. After the news of my pregnancy crashed upon us, we both spent endless nights together thinking of what to do with our unborn child. There were only two options – either keep it or get rid of it. And we decided to do the former. We decided to keep the baby, our baby.