Four

~Three Days Later~

I can feel the energy leaving my body. I am going to die, right now. Pete, you need to know something. I love you. You were my one and only, but at least you can be free to be happy with Patrick while I'm not around. I just regret never saying anything before-

"Mikey? Mikes, get up."

I opened one eye lazily. Brendon shook my shoulder gently, giving it an affectionate squeeze. Lyn-Z rolled her eyes, shaking her head. "Come on, sleepy-head," she muttered. "We need to go to class."

"Sorry, Lyn," I said, "I didn't sleep very well last night."

"If it helps, I couldn't tell. But anyone who doesn't know you like I do probably thought you were dead."

"Then they should get to know me. I'm fucking amazing, anyway."

Someone swung an arm around my neck, and I felt soft lips graze my ear.

"Yes, you are," Pete purred. I felt my cheeks flush red.

"J-Jesus, Pete," I stammered. "You can't just sneak up on a person like that! You almost killed me!"

He grinned. "I'm sorry, babe," he said. "I won't do it again. I can't have you dying on me. I'll be all by myself, and I don't want that at all."

I bit my tongue, stopping the rude comment from leaving my lips.

My phone went off in my pocket, and Brendon had it in his hand before I could react.

"Hey, give that back!" I cried.

Lyn-Z rolled her eyes again, but this time she couldn't hide her smile. "That's the difference between males and females. If Kitty would've grabbed my phone like that, I just would've asked who it was."

"Yeah, yeah, Lyn-Z, we get it," Brendon said, putting in my passcode without looking at the screen. "Vaginas are better than dicks."

"Can I see my phone now?" I asked.

"It's an unknown number," Brendon said, ignoring me.

"Really?" Pete slid over to Brendon, looking at the phone.

"Who even texts like that?" Brendon asked. "Your dad or something?"

It felt like time froze. The bell rang, but we all ignored it. Pete was the first to say anything.

"Come on, B-den," he said. "That... That was too far. You know the deal..."

I grabbed my phone from him. "Forget it," I muttered. "Go to class, I'll see you guys later."

Lyn-Z gave me a concerned look, but I nodded and she walked away. I watched her smack Brendon in the head before the two disappeared around a corner.

"I'm not leaving you, y'know."

I jumped, having forgotten that Pete was behind me. "You can," I said. "I'll be going soon enough anyway."

He shrugged. "I have math right now. It's not a big loss."

I laughed, going to check my messages.

UN: Hello, Mikey. Gerard has detention again, and I was wondering if you needed a ride home again. It won't be any trouble at all, just let me know. Oh, and it's Ray. You can contact Frank, too.

"Oh, it's your robot boyfriend!"

I rolled my eyes. "He isn't my boyfriend, and he isn't a robot."

"Then how do you explain their emotionless behavior?"

"Those chips."

"That they chose to have implanted."