5- Uncharted Proposal

Start from the beginning

I nodded, fully understanding how crucial it is for me. "I should've been good to Shruti. Why didn't I think this way?" 

"I already told you. My baby is an expert at this." He stood up from his chair, smiling end to end.

Walking to the balcony, I took fresh air in. As I looked back on our memories, I could only hear smiles, laughter, riots and a series of madness. Who would say it's been seven years? 

I have so much to tell her but now it feels void as if the thoughts got lost. As the rich smell of chicken malai reached my nostrils, I heard my brother shout, "Hey, both of you come down for dinner." 

★★★

When I stepped into the cafe, it was bustling with a crowd full of college-goers and office workers. I was welcomed by the intriguing aroma of brewing coffee. After occupying the seat right next to the window, I looked sideways at the street. 

My legs were shaking and there was a certain unsettling vibe inside my chest. Was it because I am meeting Payal after so many years?

I kept a steady gaze on the street when I saw her. Her hair locks curled prettily, right around her neck. The sunglasses didn't fit her probably as she fixed it on her tiny face. Her red earrings matched her red top and black leggings.

As I observed her, I saw her pressing the doorknob, trying her level best to push it.  It took her some time to realise that the door must be pulled from outside. 

On watching her struggling to find me, I fixed my shirt first and placed my hair in place to give a decent, formal look. Then, I waved my hand over to grab her attention.

Her eyes went wide when she saw me and took a few steps back first. I didn't know what was up with her. Maybe she just wanted to run but she soon walked towards our seat, giving up on running away. 

"Did you order something?" Her round eyes looked at me, starting up a casual conversation. 

"What would you like to have?" 

"I heard they make brilliant cappuccino," she said, looking at the menu card. 

I went over to the counter to place the order of cappuccino and sandwich when I turned to see her. Even from afar, Payal looked like an angel— her smile would form wrinkles under her eyes and would light the darkest alleys and her eyes— what should I say? They were bearing the fire in her soul, captivating my heart once again. 

She pulled up her hair in a bun and turned to me with a smile. That beautiful radiating smile. Everything glittered around her and for a second, no one, other than her, existed.

The world stopped. 

Stop this! I can't bear this cringe anymore, my brain shouted for no reason at all. I turned around to get the order and returned to my seat. 

While we sat sipping on our drinks, avoiding communication as much as possible, I was starting to feel restless. I had to say something as the air was becoming too uncomfortable around us.

"Siddharth—" She began just when I thought about starting a conversation. "Umm... you must know this already what we are here for." 

Just when I was about to say something, I could hear the voice in my head— I could hear Abhiraj. 

"When she asks, 'You must know what we are here for,' she means, she wants you to lead the date." 

"Date? What kind of bullshit—" he paused me in the middle as he continued, "I am an experienced one. I am sure she will be embarrassed to talk about the past and rejection. So don't ask her about the past. When she asks that, just say, 'Yes, I do.' That's how you win a point." 

My brain ran faster than in exams and I replied, "Yes, I do." 

 A subtle smile floated upon her face, making my heart gallop. "Then are you okay with it?" Her eyes looked like she was expecting a yes.

Suddenly, my heart was beating like crazy and it all felt like a sweet dream. Does this mean she will be my girlfriend? 

I couldn't stop my foolish smile from making its way to my lips. In that short span, I imagined us holding hands and walking by Marine Drive, me waiting for her outside her office, to pleasantly surprise her with gifts.  

"Where is my gift?" She would pout and I would reply, "I am your gift." 

There, she would laugh again as her eyes would glow with love. 

Then, we would get married, and have two kids— a daughter, Srishti and a son, Sreyas. We would then age together. Like the serial 'My Wife's Daughter', I would test my son-in-law and tell him to walk on fire before marrying my daughter.

"Siddharth, you there?" Her loud voice brought me back to this world. I coughed to realise that I went too ahead of time. 

"Yes... I am listening." 

"So... I was telling that—'' She sighed before taking a gasp of air into her lungs. "How about we begin this as soon as possible?" 

"You want to. Are you really sure?" I wanted to make sure that she wouldn't turn away this time. 

She nodded. "We should do it." She rolled her tongue against her dry lips, her eyes blazing with determination.

"So... You mean?" I looked confused, trying hard to not misunderstand her words. I pulled my feet together, staring weirdly at her. 

"Marry me." 

And there I knew by the look in her eyes that she wasn't kidding. But what was this all of a sudden? 

"What? What is the... rush?" I liked her strong and bold moves but isn't it too early for marriage? Though my urge to make her mine is too much, marriage can't happen this easily.

"Rush? I need to. I really need you to play husband. I can't remain jobless." She shook her head, throwing a fit as she pouted like a child. 

As if something struck me badly, hitting my conscious, I sat lifeless. "W...hat? Wait, ... what are we talking about right now?" 

"Shruti didn't tell you—?" While hearing her, my eyebrows went up in question. As I kept hearing her, I realised that I was thinking something in complete contrast to the actual scenario. 

"Can you be my fake husband?" 

~•~
How was the chapter?

Did you ever overthink about your future just like Siddharth? I did so many times that I forgot the count. Lol.

( P.S - The show name mentioned was purely made out of my imagination. If something like that exists, that is purely a coincidence.)

Hope you enjoyed it!

Please do vote, comment and share.