Fantasies

How many days has it been since it started? Hell if you knew. Everything went to shit pretty fast and before you knew it, you were sure you were the last person on earth. Right now you were walking on a highway in the desert. A large cooler with wheels is what you pulled along behind you. You could hear the swish of water and bottles within. You run out of food a day ago, all you had now were drinks.

Not exactly sure where you were going or why. It would be so much easier to end things with the 9mm strapped to your thigh. You thought about it more then you would like to admit but never made a move to bring the thought into focus. Just seemed like this wasn't the end. It couldn't be....

You stop, dropping the cooler handle and sitting down on the cooler. You weren't tired, but the giant crater before you certainly stole your motivation. The third world war really tore up your country, leaving huge ass holes every damn where. Wiped out almost all of the population, and the a Nuclear winter that followed only made things worse. The sky was no longer clear, clouds hung over head everywhere which was good since you probably would've died by being cooked alive. How were you even still alive? Not really sure but your grandad's bomb shelter helped. You had friends and family down there with you. However they thought they could survive the nuclear winter to get more food, or find other survivors. No one came back...

Letting out a sigh you briefly wonder if you should walk around the giant crater. The radiation near the center would surely kill you if you tried to go through it. You pause at the thought. Hell no, if you were gonna check out it would be fast and painless, screw the coughing up your insides or whatever it was that radiation did. Around the huge ass crater it is.

You let out a groan and get up, grabbing a bottle out of the cooler and drinking half before starting around the crater with your trusty cooler. Halfway around it, you start hear something banging on metal. The sound used to get you excited, and you would have this daydream of following the sound and there would be a hunk at the end working on some solar powered car and he'd be so happy to see another human. Then the two of you would spend the rest of your natural lives trying to repopulate. *wink wink*

But all the times before when you followed the noise, it was just some inanimate object caught in the wind. Fantasies sure knew how to kick your ass. You stop, looking toward something moving in the desert. You pause, pulling up you binoculars to have a peek. Your shoulders slump. Something was definitely moving about over there. You put down your binoculars, letting them hang down from your neck. Your fingers graze the 9mm. The only things that you've seen running around were animals gone rabid by the radiation. At least you wanted to think it was radiation and not them starving and wanting to eat your ass.

The thought of food made your stomach snarl. You glance down at it before sighing and taking out your 9mm. Well, you might die soon anyway. You start toward the object. Your finger on the trigger in case it charged. However, as you drew closer, you noticed it was starting to look like a human working on some mechanical thing. You blink lowering your gun slightly. Were your eyes deceiving you? Have you gone mad?

Pale muscles ripple as he worked diligently, blood red hair spiked up with a pair of goggles to keep it out of his face. You holster your gun, unable to take your eyes off of him. His movements didn't slow as he became aware of your gaze.

"If you have time to stand there and gawk then you have time to help me." He grunts, surprising you.

"Huh?" You huff. He pauses, brow furrowed as he slowly turns his amber gaze to you. He straightens up from where he was hunched over the mechanism he had been working on. The look he was giving you made you put your hand on your 9mm, watching him warily.

"Who are you? Where'd you pop up from?" He questions. You shift. Your name, what was it again? He arches an eyebrow at you, you were obviously taking too long.

"I came from the east... I uh... Can't remember my name..." You admit, rather quietly as you rub your temple. He blinks and starts toward you. You swiftly aim your 9mm at him, wary of his advance. He doesn't stop his approach, looking calm.

"Don't, point things like that at me." He growls, suddenly grabbing your wrist and making you aim at the sky. His other hand had a gentle grip on your throat, thumb pressing lightly on your windpipe. You meet his cool gaze.

"So this is how I die.... Have to say this is better than biting the barrel..." You murmur calmly. He blinks at the comment.

"You been alone for a long time haven't you?" He guesses.

"Since the nuclear winter. Kinda nice that the first person I've seen since is about to kill me," You reply with a smirk. He pauses and chuckles, releasing your neck.

"Man that's depressing, put up your gun unless you plan to off yourself," He tells you, carefully releasing your wrist. You holster your gun at that.

"Sorry about that, I guess all that time alone made me paranoid..." You admit sheepishly. He gives a nod.

"Been traveling by yourself all this time huh? That sucks..." He comments.

"You thought I was someone else didn't you? Are there others here?" You ask.

"Yeah, we run a town little ways that way... I'll take you there, but if you stay you better be able to pull your own weight," He says, walking back to the mechanism.

"Got it... What are you working on?" You ask.

"A new solar power generator," He answers. You blink at his back.

"Holy crap..." You whisper. He glances back.

"What?" He grunts.

"Nothing..."