CHAPTER FORTY TWO

Start from the beginning

“So how have you been Keilee?” my dad asks, pouring the wine into our glasses.

“I’ve been well. Life’s good.”

His eyes study me in depth “Are you sure?”

I think of telling him about Michael’s impromptu visit but I decide against it. Until he has proven to be a consistent threat I think it’s best to keep it on the down low. Give Olivia a chance to reprimand him first. “Yes. Everything is good, great even.”

He slides my drink to me “You do realize you live in my apartment right?”

I sip my drink, using the rim of the glass to hide my guilty face “Whatever do you mean?”

He sits back in his chair, his drink in hand “I mean do I have to kill him?” There’s only one him that he could be talking about. Michael.

I scour my head for the perfect answer and I end up settling on “Not everything needs to be solved with violence.”

“I think when it comes to my daughter’s safety, everything needs to be solved with violence especially if the said man has a history with violence.”

The waiter sets our food on the table before I can reply. The food looks and smells tantalizing. One thing about my dad’s restaurants is they cook the best food, especially African food. No wonder the full reservations on most nights.

“Michael hasn’t posed any threat yet. I don’t want you to harm my boyfriend’s father unless necessary.”

“Okay I won’t touch Michael but if he does something stupid I won’t be held accountable for what will befall him” Are all dads this protective of their daughters or is it just the mafia dads?

“So how’s business?” I inquire, delving into my food.

“Do you care?”

“Not really No.”

A warm smile finds his lips “I thought so. Tell me, how are things with Darelle?”

“As perfect as they can be. He asked me to accompany him to Paris.”

“You said yes I presume?”

“Of course I did.”

He settles his fork on the side of the plate “He’s treating you well isn’t he? I can see the joy written all over your face.”

I smile “Better than I anticipated.”

“Good. You need my jet?”

“No not now but I’ll call in that favor someday.”

He nods his head “As you should. It is yours just as much as it is mine. The yacht too.” If only those words were uttered to Kira.

“Dad? Why do you choose to stay single? And don’t tell me it’s because of your line of work.” I ask, serious.

Hurt crosses his face “I promised Celine so much that I couldn’t see myself loving anyone else but her. I promised her love, marriage only to walk out like a coward. To me staying single seems like the only feasible way to punish myself for abandoning you both when you needed me the most.”

“So there’s never been anyone?”

“Not in that way. No.” I don’t even want to imagine the other way.

I lean my elbows on the table “Do you think that’s what mom would have wanted for you?”

“I’m not sure. I hurt her so much. You both.” He says, shamefully.