chapter 5

Zestu Zetsu no mi

Shanks

      I can see that she doesn't even have the energy to respond, she holds me tightly in her arms to prevent us from sinking again

      A rope arrives in front of us, falling from the boat. I take it in both hands, allowing Kuroi to hold on to me. I use all the muscles in my arms to hoist both of us onto the completely drenched boat deck.
     All the present pirates rush towards us as Kuroi coughs, spitting out all the water she had ingested. My eyes focus on a dark figure appearing next to us, and Rayleigh's powerful fist violently strikes the top of our skulls, leaving a big lump as a reward.
     - Hey! But why?!
     - Why me too? I haven't done anything at all! So why am I getting hit?!!
     Getting angry at Rayleigh is a very bad idea. Even though it doesn't seem like it, he's easily irritated and never lets words or actions go unanswered. Another fist smashes into the brunette's skull.
     - Can someone explain why these two little ones are wet with bumps on their heads?
     The captain's laughter makes me smile in turn. I lose my smile when I see Kuroi standing up, checking if Kuroyuki is still on her back. I take the opportunity to pick up my hat that was on the ground next to me.

Kuroi.

I had to fall into the water!! I didn't want to tell them about my Devil Fruit

I had to fall into the water!! I didn't want to tell them about my Devil Fruit. It's too dangerous, I can't use it. If they had that information, I'm sure I wouldn't be on this boat anymore.
      My heart skips a beat for no apparent reason. I'm short of breath, and my cheeks burn, almost forgetting the strange sensation on my lips. I have no reason to feel like this.
     - Kuroi?
     I raise my gaze to him, not forgetting to furrow my eyebrows. His gaze is intense, focused on someone, and I feel the growing discomfort on the silent deck.
     - What?
     - Did Rayleigh's blow make you deaf?
     Useless, his joke was useless, yet the silence that weighed on us was broken by his laughter. This captain makes me lose my composure; he's kind and strong, for sure. But I can't figure him out.
     - No, sorry, I'm not senile like some others.
     I don't notice that he has moved until I feel his arm on my shoulders. He's so much taller than me that my neck starts to hurt. It's vexing.
      - You're a funny one! Come with me! Rayleigh, you too.
      I lower my face to my wet clothes, the cold slapping my thighs and arms. The captain's hand on my back leads me towards the door to the upper deck, which is the entrance to Roger's cabin. I have no desire to go into his cabin. It's not that it bothers me; it's just that considering their level of hygiene and the fact that I haven't been able to take a shower in almost two weeks, it disgusts me to the core.
     It probably doesn't smell very good. I already sleep most of the time on the deck because of Baggy's snoring, not to mention that the redhead talks in his sleep. Speaking of the redhead, he sleepwalks too! I've already woken up to see him standing in the middle of the cabin, singing a creepy song. He has hit me in his sleep before... Oh, and when it's hot, the smell is unbearable!The worst part is that we're in the New World, so the temperature and climate change very quickly. Sleeping with two guys who stink of sweat is beyond my limits. That's why I sleep on the deck more often than with them.
      Despite my obvious lack of motivation, I still follow them into the cabin. Once inside, the smell doesn't hit me as hard, it's not that horrible.
      Sure, it doesn't smell like soap either, but it's okay. There are many empty bottles on the desk, which is a total mess! Maps, books, wanted posters, but there's a corner of the desk that is perfectly tidy, clean, not a speck of dust or even a misplaced paper.
      I'm intrigued by this drastic change in environment and approach to take a closer look. In the center of the neatness, there are several stacks of letters, right next to them are several framed photos. In all the photos, there's a woman.
      She has long wavy pink hair, freckles on her face, a pink hibiscus flower in her hair on the left side of her head, and her brown eyes reflect the sunlight in the photo. She's often alone in the picture or with Roger, they look cute together.
      - She's beautiful!
      I turn to him, who is looking at me with a big radiant smile on his face.
     - Yes, she's really beautiful.
      His lips widen even further, forming a perfect "D" on his face.
     - Who is she?
     - She's the woman I love! Her name is Portgas D. Rouge.
      Roger is in love? He has a woman? And she's super pretty! I didn't think a pirate could have a romantic relationship. The man who trained him in the Navy used to tell me that pirates only saw women as pieces of meat, not that they loved them or wanted anything beyond their bodies. Yet, Roger just said that he loves this woman, Rouge. I had a feeling, but now I have confirmation that everything I've been told about pirates is a lie.
      - You make a lovely couple.
      I smile at him before diverting his attention to something else.
      - I'll have to introduce you to her. I'm sure you'll get along well! She lives on the island of Baterilla, a beautiful little place.
      I nod and smile as Rayleigh clears his throat to get our attention. We turn to him, and he seems surprisingly impatient.
      - Not to spoil the mood, but we're not here to talk about Rouge.
      - But Rouge is amazing!
      - I never said otherwise, calm down!