Chapter 82

Claire

Day time tv is a boring wasteland of infomercials and old movies. It would be alright if the movie was actually good, that would make having a day off from school, stuck on the couch with a sprained ankle somewhat worth it but I this was quickly becoming the most boring day ever.

Every time I put pressure on my foot a spark of pain radiated from my ankle, making me cringe because I'm reminded of my embarrassing strip tease gone wrong. This is what I get for trying to be sexy for my boyfriend, a sprained ankle and a lifetime of regret. 

I blame the vodka, it gave me false confidence. They really should put warnings on the bottles, just to prevent others from being sent down a shame spiral. The heels were also at fault, I can usually walk fine in them but they too need a warning, 'don't mix with alcohol'. 

Thank goodness my parents let me stay home from school today though. My embarrassment would just be endless if I had to relay to Jupiter and Nate how I obtained my injury. I'm sure Andy has probably already told them why I'm absent but I made him promise to not give them any details of how I ended up in this predicament. It's already bad enough that he saw it happen and I don't know what is more bruised, my ankle or my ego. 

Dad also took the day off, just incase I needed help getting up and down the stairs but was still working, from, home, trying to organise accommodation and transport for the Bulldogs when they play in the state finals at the end of the month. I didn't want to bother him, not when I knew he was busy but I was desperate for human interaction. 

I checked the time on my phone, it was only a little bit after 11. Andy would be in Chemistry right now, sitting all alone, no one to talk to. He wouldn't be fazed by being on his own, he's not like me, I always have to have someone to talk to as I work. I did wonder if he was missing me though because I was missing him. 

As if I willed it to happen, my phone vibrated in my hand and I saw a message from Andy flashed up on the screen. He was risking having his phone confiscated by Mr Eckels, which made me feel very special that I was the person he'd risk it for.

Missing you Cupcake, hope your ankle isn't hurting too much. I'm collecting your homework for you. Love you baby.

I smiled stupidly at the message. My boyfriend is a man of very few words but he always knows the right ones to make my heart sing. I wrote back a quick reply, letting him know I miss him and I'm grateful he's getting my homework. 

"How's your foot feeling?" Dad asks, startling me because I didn't even hear him come in from the dinning room. 

"The pain killers I took with breakfast have helped but I think they're starting to wear off and I can't take any more until lunch." I explain, picking up the bottle of pain relief tablets that the doctor had prescribed to me. 

"I was thinking of ordering in something special for lunch." Dad says.

"How special?" I question him. Since Heath was diagnosed with diabetes, our take away options has very limited but there was one thing I was craving. "Like, Chinese food special?"

"You read my mind." He smiles widely. "But only if you don't tell your brother. I don't want World War III erupting in this house all because he finds out we ate something he can't."

"It will be our secret." I promise my dad. I know how much this would crush Heath and it would be so cruel to rub it in his face. "Can you go pick it up though? Last time we got delivery it took them two hours to find a driver."

"I don't want to leave you on your own though Claire." Dad fusses. "What if you need to get upstairs to the bathroom."

"Seriously dad, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to have an emergency in the 20 minutes you will be out of the house." I scoff at him. "There's a toilet in the downstairs bathroom anyway, I can just hobble to that one."