"I-... I thought it was time-"

"No, why did you come back now? Why not earlier? Why not stay in Europe?" She pressed, standing up slowly as Laurie stood with her. He was nervous that she would start the conversation that he knew she was not ready to have. 

"I decided to stop wasting my life away and do something important with it," he started, knowing that most of that was the truth. 

"And what were you planning on doing here that was so important?" Addy didn't quite know what she was getting at, but she knew that she was tired of bottling up her feelings. 

"I... hadn't quite figured that part out yet," Lauried placed a hand on the back of his neck as he subconsciously moved closer to the girl, refusing to make eye contact. 

The two stood in silence for a minute, holding onto the tension that they both wished would just melt away. Laurie began to grow frustrated as he wondered how it has taken him eight years to even begin to get to a place of confessing his feelings for Adeline. 

They both looked at each other at the same moment and the world seemed to stop. Addy felt her heart race as Laurie took one final step toward her, now only inches away. 

"I have been trying to make something of myself for years, and it only ever started after I met you. When I left for Europe... I did not think I had any reason to strive to be a better man. But the truth is it was always for you," Laurie finally breathed, admitting to feelings he knew had been true for years. Addy's breathing hitched. 

"Why for me?" She asked quietly, terrified of his answer. 

"It's always been you, Del. No matter how many times you rejected me or placed distance between us for whatever reason, I have never felt more myself than when I am with you," Laurie still could not find the exact words to say as he feared that once he spoke of his love she would officially turn him away for good. 

Adeline was confused and lost in thought, forgetting why she ever pushed him away in the first place. With Beth gone, Jo not interested, and Amy infatuated with Fred, all of her sensible reasons for rejecting Laurie seemed to float away. She still could not accept his feelings, however, because he had not spoken clearly. 

"I don't understand, Teddy. Why do I make you want to be better?" Addy asked the final question, knowing the answer would make or break the next moment. 

"Because... because... damn it!" Laurie grabbed onto Addy's waist, pulling her to him quickly and connecting their lips; something he wished he had done years ago. Adeline was not expecting this and she tensed, eyes wide open in shock. 

Laurie pulled away when he felt that she was not responding and his heart shattered. This was it. He knew that there was a chance she would not love him, but this form of an answer was all the more crushing. 

"God, I'm sorry Del-" 

Adeline interrupted him, grabbing onto his collar and bringing them together in a passionate kiss. Laurie melted into the kiss, gripping Adeline as if she would fade away if he let go. Addy's hands moved to his neck, her fingers finding their way to the loose curls at the base of his neck. They both moved slowly with the kiss, parting after a minute of what felt like a dream to both of them. 

Adeline could no longer deny that what she once knew was impossible was real; this was her life now. She couldn't explain how she got here, but she was living in this world now. This was real. 

"I have loved you since I was 17. Teddy, you have changed my life and I have spent years trying to deny it, but... I can't anymore. I love you," Adeline breathed the words out quickly, for fear that they may get lost if she left her feelings unsaid for another minute. 

Laurie's eyes brimmed with gentle tears, his smile spreading far across his face. He was still holding onto Addy, his hands gingerly placed on her waist while her hands rested on his neck. 

"Adeline March, I... I love you. I love you and I have for years. I don't know why it has taken us this long to say these words but I don't care, as long as I can say them now. I love you!" He shouted the last part, flinging his arms wide while pointing his face at the sky. Addy chuckled, pulling his face back to hers in a short, sweet kiss. 

"Do you know how long I have wanted to do that?" Laurie breathed, placing his forehead against Adeline's, enjoying this moment he longed for. 

"I think I do," she smiled back, patting the man's cheek lightly before pulling away completely and spinning around in joy. Laurie watched happily as Addy danced to her own tune, basking in the beautiful day. She then froze, remembering what this day meant. 

This was the day she put her sister in the ground. 

Laurie noticed her change in stature and slowly made his way beside her, grabbing her hand gently. 

"Are you alright?" He asked quietly, scared that the girl's fragile state would shatter before him. 

"Yes... well, no. I will be. I just need some time to adjust to a world without my Beth," Addy turned her head towards Laurie and his heart broke at the look of sadness on her face. 

"The world will never be the same. But we can keep her memory alive and well. She loved you so much, Del. You were truly her sister," Laurie placed a kiss on her forehead as she let a tear fall, leaning into the man she loved for comfort. 

"I know. At least I have a beautiful family to rely on," she sighed, latching onto Laurie's hand again and beginning to lead them back to the March house. 

"And me, of course," Laurie smiled lightly, nudging Addy as she smiled back. 

"I don't know about you yet, Teddy. I'll keep you around for now," she cheekily giggled, rushing out of his grasp as he tried to chase after her. 

"Get back here, Miss March!" He called, admiring how Adeline's hair fell around her as she ran. 

He was so in love with this woman and he knew that she could break his heart in an instant, as she already had before. But he could not care less; he would be honoured to be broken by Adeline March. 

AN: Y'all it happened, this is not a drill. It's been 8 years but it freaking happened.