16

"As time goes by and love runs dry, you know that I'll be like the mountain falls for the sea." Mountain Falls for the Sea by Findlay Brown

After a few weeks of healing and a few scares, Beth was on her way to being better

After a few weeks of healing and a few scares, Beth was on her way to being better. Jo did have a bit of a panic when she woke up to an empty bed and thought the worse. Luckily, Beth was only downstairs for the first time since she was ill, leaning against Addy while she ate breakfast. 

Christmas approached quickly and Adeline could not help but think about Laurie every day that passed. She understood that what she had been doing was unfair, but she did not know what to do at this point. She could either try to make things right, but accept that nothing will be the same, or she could leave Laurie being infuriated at her so that he would turn to Jo in affection and love, though she was worried that this love would not be as true. 

Had she ruined the story permanently? She took Laurie's affections first, meaning that Jo would be his rebound, which she did not deserve. Addy's head hurt thinking about it. 

Christmas morning was well on its way as Amy supervised decorating, Beth sat on the couch with her doll, Joanna, and Marmee and Mr. Laurence sat by the fire. Hannah, Adeline, and Meg all helped to place the feast on the table before Laurie ran into the room. 

"And here's another Christmas gift for the March family!" He screamed, causing all the women to look at him in confusion. Mr. March walked through the door being supported by Mr. Brooke and all chaos was let loose. 

Amy fell off her stool, which she was standing on, Beth began to cry, Jo dropped her bowl of food, Marmee gasped loudly, and Hannah's hands rushed to her mouth. Addy was frozen in place, not knowing what to do. 

The young women all rushed forward, except for Addy, to attack the man with affection. Adeline watched Meg place a sweet kiss on Mr. Brooke's cheek, causing him to blush. 

"My little women! How you've grown, and how proud I am of you. Each of you. Merry Christmas, my dears," Robert March's eyes filled with tears as his daughters surrounded him. Marmee made her way to her husband, tears falling with joy as her whole family was together again. After a sweet embrace, Mr. March noticed Adeline standing off in the corner. 

"Why you must be the newest March," he smiled, beckoning Addy towards him. 

"I'm Adeline," she nodded, walking forward gingerly, nervous that the man would find her intrusive to his family. 

"Adeline March. Come give your Father a hug," he opened his arms, causing tears to spring into the young girl's eyes as she ran into the man, holding him close. She had missed having a Father, and now he had come home. 

Laurie watched the girl cry and desired nothing more than to comfort her and make all of her pain disappear. His anger and frustration were still present, but his love for the girl was always stronger. He knew this moment was important for her, but he remained in his place, hands behind his back as he watched the family moment. 

The whole family gathers for dinner that evening, including the Laurences and Mr. Brooke. There are many laughs, more tears, and an immeasurable about of love. Laurie sits next to Jo and spends the whole time focusing on anyone but Adeline. Addy notices from her spot beside Mr. March and keeps her focus on filling him in on her adventures with his daughters. 

Despite their tension, Adeline and Laurie continued to feel affection for each other from a distance. 

---------------------------

The years pass, and the spring of 1865 comes around. The time has come as 21-year-old Meg rushes into her house, screaming for all of her sisters to join her. The whole family rushes in, confused as to why Meg is crying and laughing. 

"He proposed! John, he asked me to marry him!" Meg finally blurted out, causing the whole March family to burst into cheers, excited for the couple. Plans began being made immediately, while Jo stood back a few feet, realizing what this meant. 

Adeline noticed her and joined her, placing an arm around her. 

"Are you alright?" Addy asked gently. 

"I am going to lose you all. Meg is the start. It is only a matter of time before you and Amy get married. Beth will stay home with Mother and Father. What will I do?" She asked quietly, overanalyzing her future, 

"Jo, you will always have your family," Addy sighed, trying to get the girl out of her own head. 

"Maybe... maybe I should consider marrying someone. Perhaps it's not all that bad. I would always have someone to care for me," Jo shrugged, causing Addy to turn to her. 

"Only if that is what you want. Jo, being a wife does not mean you cannot be anything else," Adeline reminded her, though she knew that was partially a lie in these times. 

"I just don't know who would want to marry a girl like me," Jo scoffed. Addy's eyes lowered as she thought of exactly who would want to marry her. 

"What about Laurie?" She asked gently. Jo's head snapped up to her. 

"Do you think he would ask me? I mean, Teddy is my best friend. I guess it would not be the worst fate to suffer," Jo shrugged, causing Addy's heart to break. 

"I think he would. He loves you, it is clear," Adeline nodded, sealing her fate as Jo smiled lightly. 

The wedding came quickly as the March girls were rushing around outside, setting the most romantic scene for the wedding. Beth was dressed in pink, excited to be well enough to participate. Amy was in a blue dress, placing flowers along the aisle. Jo was running around in a faded green dress, making sure everyone was doing what they were supposed to. 

Addy was tending to Meg, curling and braiding her hair like the night of the New Year's party. 

"How are you feeling?" Addy asked, looking down at her yellow dress. 

"I can't believe today is my wedding day!" Meg giggled, joy radiating off of her. Adeline felt so much love for her sister, glad that she found such a wonderful man. 

"Do you truly love him?" Adeline suddenly asked, sitting beside Meg as her feelings swirled. 

"Of course," Meg chuckled, confused as to why she would ask. 

"How do you know? What love feels like?" Addy asked, slowly looking up at her best friend. 

"Well, I guess I know because I'm not afraid. I know that we will struggle. I know that we won't have it easy. But I know I will be okay because I will have John and he will have me. I desire nothing more than to be with him," Meg smiled, tucking some of Addy's hair behind her ear. 

Meg knew exactly what she was referring to. She knew that Laurie was her love, but she was confused about what was expected of her. Meg sighed, leaning her head on Adeline's shoulder. 

"I can't believe childhood is over," Addy breathed, holding tightly onto Meg. 

"It had to end one way or another. And what a happy ending," Meg poked at her sister, causing her to laugh. 

AN: and I said yEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH I SAID HEY WHATS GOING ONNNNNN