y/n

- context -

I'M NOT GONNA SPOIL ANYTHING SO U BETTER READ THIS THING U GOOFY PEOPLE

i wrote it as fem! reader, and they use she/her pronouns, so i'm really sorry if you'd prefer something different :C

follow/vote? :3

...

the flowerful, wide grassland in which time seems to fly by (at least, for the two people that go there every day) holds memories.

happy laughter.

whispered secrets.

tearful exchanges.

confessions (of every kind).

unspoken love.

...

the moon looks beautiful tonight.

it's vibrant, dim light softens their features as they lay in the grassy field. even his.

"katsuki," she says.

given her tone, she could be asking a question. he turns his head slightly towards her as his answer.

"katsuki," she turns to look at the night sky, the stars reflecting in her sparkling eyes. "what do you want to be reborn as, when you die?"

he snorts, his eyes swiveling up to look at the dark, milky canvas of stars above them. "i'm going to be reborn as a hero, dumbass. thought you'd already know that by now."

she smiles. "yeah. i was just wondering if you'd give me a different answer."

they lay in silence for a bit longer until he speaks up.

"well? what about your dumb ass?"

"what about me?" her eyes seem to dim for a moment. "i'm not going to be reborn at all. i'll just stay in the afterlife, if i have any choice at all."

he raises an eyebrow. "and why the fuck would you do that?"

she rolls her eyes and smiles, nudging his shoulder playfully. "because! at this rate, pollution's going to outrun mother nature. the earth will become so toxic that life won't even be life anymore, if you survive long enough to experience life at all."

her answer is reasonable enough. and yet...

...and yet, something is wrong.

he can feel it. he knows, at the back of his mind, that something is wrong.

so why can't he remember?

"we should get back to the dorms soon, though. aizawa-sensei is gonna kick our asses if he finds out we're skipping curfew." she stands up and offers her hand to him, a small smile on her face. "and thank you, really, i love coming out here with you."

he takes her hand. but something feels off. she feels off.

when did her hand ever feel like... that? like air?

like he was grasping nothing at all?

she lets go and is starting to walk away.

"wait-" he begins, quickly standing up and reaching out to grab her hand. she moves away, avoiding his touch, still smiling.

"sorry, katsuki, i can't. i'm tired. i'm gonna go to sleep, alright?"

he wants to protest, he wants to yell at her and tell her she's acting weird, to tell him what the fuck is wrong with her. but he can't move. he can't move.

no, he can't move on.

"katsuki, you have to let go of me, okay?" 

something breaks in his heart. because he remembers. he finally remembers. and he realizes that this- this isn't real. nothing that just happened was real.

it's a dream. she- no, not she. y/n.

y/n is dead.

y/n grasps his hands, holding them in hers."i'm still here because you can't let go. you have to let go, okay? you have to let go. i'm ready to move on to the last stage, okay? but i can't if you can't, and i know it doesn't make sense right now, but please, for my sake... you have to move on from me."

"how?" he chokes out. "fuck, i can't forget about you. i fucking miss you so much it hurts."

y/n smiles again, though this time, it's more of a sad gesture, contrasting what it's supposed to mean.

"let go, katsuki."

he wakes up.

...

his room is dark, a perfect backdrop for the single beam of light shining through from his window.

he walks toward it, throwing the windows wide open and feeling the cool night air hit his face. he looks up.

the moon looks beautiful tonight.