Chapter 14

In fact, if his memory served, he had spent a week or two modeling with a teen around his age named Lila, just before he was finally able to get out.

She hadn't lasted long, because she had been pushy. Pushy enough to attempt to craft the image that they were dating while on set together. It was rare that a photographer other than the one Gabriel had hired would show up on any particular day of filming.

He hadn't needed to work with her again after the pictures had been purchased, from the second photographer.

He couldn't be sure this was the same girl, but he wouldn't put it past his father.

Adrien sighed wearily. If he hadn't spent most of adolescence dealing with the uncomfortable situations, he would have already bailed.

The large cup of coffee was barely helping him keep his eyes open, but he couldn't afford to miss a trick. Nathalie was counting on him.

"Good Morning, ladies and gentlemen." He started. "As many of you might know from the email that went out this morning, Nathalie Sancoeur is going to be taking a few weeks off for personal time. Gabriel Agreste personally requested that I come from the New York office to help facilitate all of the usual plans while she is away. In her absence, I'd like to ask you to reach out to me just as you would her."

The murmurs that went up around the room weren't exactly encouraging.

Still he scanned the room for hands. "Are there any questions?"

At the prompting of the other executives, Adrien made a point to go around to see what each of the departments were up to.If anything, it was now even more critical to look older and more serious. He wanted to be careful not to ruin any progress she had made, which was encouraging considering the good number of smiles from the staff.

He was politely distant, only keeping close to Lila because he had to. She was taking notes, after all.

Adrien sank into Nathalie's beside chair, feeling the weight of everything — jet lag included — hitting far harder at the moment.

After the long day he had, he loosened the tie and undid a few buttons so he could at least be more at ease. He was sure Nathalie wouldn't mind, even if she was awake.

The glasses had been banished to his bag as soon as he got in the car.

He grinned at her absurdity.

He frowned at the incoming call from his Father.

"Adrien." Gabriel Agreste stared back disapprovingly through the tablet. It would be funny if it wasn't so sadly familiar.

"Father," Adrien murmured. "I see you're well."

"I am, thank you."

"So was there really a reason to bring me back from my home and duties in New York?"

"You know very well I've not left the house often since you mother..." Somber, his father trailed off.

Adrien sighed wearily, feeling the jet lag acutely now. "Maybe it is time."

"Or maybe it is time that you had a more active handle in the business."

"I'm following the plan Nathalie set forth for me."

Gabriel scowled. "The plan Nathalie was setting forth was a business agreement with Tomoe Tsurugi. Without her negotiation skill, we need you to bring her daughter to our side."

Adrien's eyes narrowed, suspecting his Father was trying to bring him back to Paris and under his control once again. That definitely wasn't going to happen. "What is Tsurugi bringing to the table that is so important?