24. goodbye for a while

Start from the beginning

"Are you sure?"

"Don't you have to go to class?"

It was an endless cycle; her mother needed time to heal.

Lilith was the last to arrive in Rowena's basement. Her classmates had already taken out their books and cauldrons, but the mentor seemed delayed. She discreetly took her seat and avoided eye contact with the others. If they didn't like her before, now it was even worse. No one believed her story of how she rescued her mother. Every day they asked her a new rumor that only irritated her patience. 

"Heather is turning twenty-one this Saturday," Coral said to everyone, except Lilith who wasn't included. "She plans to celebrate at a club in the city and she's inviting everyone. How should we organize ourselves?"

"I need to buy clothes. I don't have anything nice to wear," Macey said excitedly, genuinely one of the most sarcastic people Lilith had ever known. She was a petite twenty-one-year-old with short brown hair and an exotic face. She had large green eyes and a prominent forehead. "Do you know if Dorian will be there?"

The girls shared some laughs. Damn it! Lilith tried to act disinterested, but they excluded her from the conversation, and she wanted to know more about the gossip and the reason they were laughing.

"Let's go shopping! The nicest thing I have is a sequin blouse, and I don't think it's in style," Averi exclaimed in her own level of excitement. "You have the high school experience and you hang out outside the coven a lot. What's in fashion? And since I have the chance, how do I stop being weird in social situations?" Averi was the only one who tried to include her, which caught Lilith off guard, and she gladly wanted to respond, but Coral interrupted.

"Yes, he's invited and confirmed his attendance," Coral continued laughing along with her best friend Beatriz. "As a friend, I recommend you not to get your hopes up. It seems like he's enchanted by the new girl."

Rowena entered at that moment, and she usually commanded attention, but with Coral's accusation, all her classmates stared at her as if she had killed someone right in front of them. Oh God... boys entered the equation. Amazing!

"Do you like Dorian?" When Averi sighed disappointedly, Lilith knew she would never be called a friend. Averi was a sweet girl and had shown her liking from the moment she joined, so her words had a big impact. "Macey has been in love with him her whole life. She lost her virginity to him!"

"Averiiiiiii!" Macey shouted with a red face. "Shut up!"

"He sent her a basket full of roses," Beatriz commented. "I saw them. Barbara was bringing them into the coven, and obviously, a basket full of roses caught my attention, so I asked her who they were for. And what did she say? 'My son sends them to Lilith, he's a gentleman.'"

"I'm sorry, Macey, but it's not my fault," Lilith wouldn't stay silent or let an injustice happen to her image in this matter. "I knew nothing about the relationship between Dorian and you. If I hurt you, it wasn't my intention. I'm not bound by the rules of friendship here. Nobody considers me a friend anyway. Besides, I think it's important for you to know that Dorian is a free man, and if he sends me flowers or asks me out, you shouldn't get angry with me. I, nor any other girl he's been interested in, are responsible for your illusions. Talk to him about it."

"Don't be discouraged, Macey," Coral said as she walked over to the girl's table and comforted her with a hug. Honestly, the news had broken Macey's heart to the point where she was about to cry into her cauldron. Lilith contemplated leaving; sometimes she could be inconsiderate when it came to romantic matters. She had never bothered with boys; she saw them as a waste of time. "All men are the same, they want the most beautiful one even if they themselves are hideous. I told you, I know this type of people like my reflection, they like to show off, the aesthetic, they don't care about what happens in the heart.