Chapter 2

Months went by, everything was normal (as normal as it can be for Diluc).

Not until now, when he was looking at his father's back as the air surrounding him was almost electrifying. Black chains were by his side as he summoned them to attack the fearsome monster in front of them. He had fallen, sword out of reach as he tried to stop himself from shaking in pain at the wound by his arm and from the fear this monster invoked. If it had not been for his father he would've long been dead and at that thought hope swelled up inside him.

The fight was a blur for Diluc who had to steady his breathing when he was losing blood. Before he knew it, the monster was defeated and his father remained standing chest heaving before he slumped down abruptly. Diluc quickly made his way to him despite his whole body protesting.

"Father! Are you okay?!" He said as he sat by his father, worried about filling him. His eyes glanced at the wound by his father's side and the delusion--his father had called it flickered and the black chains disappeared.

"You...you're safe?" Crepus had managed to utter and Diluc nodded, not caring at the wound by his arm. He had thought his father worried for him after all, wasn't it him that saved Diluc a while ago?

"Yes, I'm okay father. Don't worry backup will be here soon-"

"Why?"

Diluc stopped as he stared at his father's face, no hint of worry was seen but instead anger and accusation.

"Why are you safe?! The delusion was supposed to take your life force! That was the least you could do for a good for nothing son like you!" Crepus sputtered before falling into a coughing fit. Diluc went cold staring at his father who was slowly losing energy and the delusion by his side flickering steadily.

"W-What do you mean?" Diluc tried to ask as he looked at his father in disbelief, his hand still clutching at his father's wounds to try and stop the bleeding.

"Y-You can't even...do anything right...you're supposed to die...not me..!" He struggled to say as he felt his energy rapidly depleting he could feel the delusion backfiring as he clutched on Diluc's shirt drenching it with blood.

"This is...all your...fault." Those were the last words he uttered as the lights in his eyes dims and his arm falls slack while Diluc was still pressing onto his wound to stop the bleeding despite knowing it was too late. His tears spilling as his hands won't stop shaking as he sobs.

He had killed his father.

He was supposed to die, not his father but even then by his selfish wish to live the delusion possibly heeded and took his father's life instead. 

It was all his fault, his father was right. He can never do anything right and it has cost someone else's life. He hears the hooves of the horses nearing and against his better judgment he takes the delusion and hides it.

"Diluc! Master Crepus!" Kaeya's voice rang before stopping to see Diluc hunched over Crepus' corpse entire body trembling and his heart hurts to see such sight. He grabs Diluc by his shoulders gently who flinched away from him refusing to leave his father's side. Kaeya had no choice but to drag him away from the withering corpse slowly turning into ashes flowing away with the wind. 

Diluc fought back against him trying to run over to his father's side but Kaeya hadn't given him the chance to, dragging him to the carriages where the healers are. He had lost a huge amount of blood as his world spins but he refuses to relent, it was all his fault.

Everything had been his fault, he shouldn't have run after the monster eager to prove himself. He should've been the one to die in exchange for granting his father power equal to a vision like his but what good was the vision when he couldn't even wield it to protect his father nor anyone?