It started as a small but rapid flame but soon, it engulfed the entire building right before our eyes. I watched in silence, as the flames danced and grew higher and higher. It radiated warmth and took it all in.

"I asked myself a question, Borgan," I said, without looking at him. "What is the worst punishment for a man whose sins were greater than the devil...and soon, the answer came to mind,"

I slowly turned to face the man, who showed signs of fear. His body trembled but he did not move an inch from where he sat. He could not dare.

"This is the punishment I am going to give to the man who you serve," I told him calmly as I pointed at the burning structure. "I am going to immolate him,"

I knew I had to think before I did something. Hence, all of this happened after many considerations. The fire burned and burned behind me as I stared at the man.

"There is your horse, so you could accomplish your task," I pointed towards a direction. Some soldiers blocked the way but soon scattered so we could get a view.

Lucian Grey held the brown horse's reins and inclined his head slightly, showing respect.

"There is enough food and water for you to last a week," I continued. "I have no clue where you will be headed to. But that should do. Also, in that sack, there is a permission slip that would allow you to leave the gates of Anthreal as you are. Not a trader or a merchant, but a criminal,"

That paper was signed and sealed by me for the men stationed at the gates to let him leave.

"Happy journey," were the last words I spoke to him before I walked off, without looking back.

I knew that what I asked would be fulfilled. This man seemed eager enough to run. And hence, I will let him do just that. If there were other secret hidden organizations like this, it would not take long for us to find them. A firm message was sent.

Finally, my heart felt peace after a long time of turmoil.
.................................................................

I was barely myself when we returned to the castle. Nathaniel kept on speaking and reporting all the issues that occurred. I asked him to make a report of it and send it to Marwin Sunster and the rest of the army, scattered around the kingdom.

For now, I wanted to go back to my wife's arms. Hopefully, she did not notice that I had been gone for an entire day without her notice. My heart ached for hiding something like this but anger prevailed over it.

The morning had welcomed yet another heavy snowfall. Reports say that a blizzard was incoming and hence, I was more than glad to accomplish this task I had in mind. And as for not arousing suspicions from my wife, I made my plans.

When I entered the chambers fresh and already in my working apparel, I saw that she was still asleep. It was quite early in the morning and even the sun was not out in the sky. It would not make much of a difference though.

I quickly approached the bed and only when I saw her face did my heart calm down. She was alright. I sat beside her and took her hand in mine. They were warm as if they were a fire itself.

Speaking of fire made a wave of emotions flow through my body. Was I right or wrong in my decision? Everyone I asked agreed with me, saying that it was the best punishment. Was I being too harsh? I needed my wife's counsel too. Just as I was in my thoughts, I heard a slight whisper.

"Xander?..."

My eyes darted toward my wife, who slowly opened her eyes. They were red though, as if she was crying. I just hoped that it was not another nightmare.