Parents

My parents respect each other, which is why I've never seen them use singular words for one another, even in anger. The standards that people are setting now were thankfully followed them in their arranged marriage.

We've faced some tough times which my mother still recalls but I remind her that past is past, and cannot be changed.

Ironically, they're an older generation compared to us (my spouse and I), yet we lack so many basics as compared to them. Allahumma barik lahum!

On Monday evening, we had a wedding reception to attend. My mother and I didn't wanna go because we were tired from hanging out with people the previous day. My father wanted to go even though there was a possibility of rain.

With this dilemma, he asked my mother if he should go or not. My mother said nope and I said yes. He asked the same question about five times, and finally gave up on leaving the house. About 10 minutes later, it started pouring, and my mother joked about it, saying that she saved him from drenching.

In all this amusement, I realized that the man I've seen in my house has set my standard high enough, not to compromise on the bare minimum at least. My standards are pretty low actually, even lower than that of my mother, yet I married and tried to maintain my marital relationship.

And somehow, I'm failing at it. Because my spouse doesn't care at all.

It's sad and true.

Anyway, the bottom line is a prayer so we all can have good spouses and a healthy marital relationship.

Here's the dua -

Allazeena yaqooloona Rabbanaa hab lanaa min azwaajinaa wa zurriyaatinaa qurrata a’yuninw waj ‘alnaa lilmuttaqeena Imaamaa
(Quran 25:74)

Meaning: “Our Lord, grant us from among our spouses and offspring comfort to our eyes and make us an example for the righteous.

Ameen! <3