Chapter 18: Something Uncontrollable

Start from the beginning

Unicron turned toward them, momentarily pausing in the havoc he was currently wreaking on the Pentagon and in the strikes of lightning he had been dealing to them. Minerva grasped Megatron's digits and pulled herself to her knees.

"You were right," Megatron told her, his sword sliding out of it's place. "I will not stand to watch anyone else be abused. Not me. Not you. We will fight him until our dying breaths."

Minerva's chuckle was strained, but her clenched fists came easily. "Good."

With a small cry, Megatron leaped forward, charging at the god. Unicron only grinned and raised his servo, sending another piercing bolt of purple lightning coursing through them. He stumbled, yelling out and holding Minerva tighter.

She jerked and clasped onto his middle finger; her chin trembled as she raised her head to look at Unicron. Dangerous violet optics clashed with dirt brown. Minerva had little to offer in a physical battle between a god and a warlord, but when it came to will, she was not lacking.

There was no giving up. No retreat. No surrender.

She was going to show this son of a bīțćh what she was made of. Flesh and bone and determination. He could break her down to dust, but he'd never break her.

Megatron climbed to his pedes again, invigorated by the hand gripping his own. He glanced at Minerva and grinned, his sharp denta flashing.

They charged.

There was an explosion of colors as Megatron's sword sliced through the illusion of Unicron. Pieces of the god seemed to fly in all directions, replaced by a brilliant burst of rainbow, as if Megatron had cut into a pressurized pump of party streamers. He took a step back, digits curling protectively around his charge, and opened his optics.

He was back in his own body.

Megatron's optics shifted in an attempt to refocus and he groaned, feeling something heavy on his chassis. The blurry figure above him moved and Megatron realized who it was.

"Megatron, welcome back," Optimus said, slightly winded.

Megatron sat up and frowned, optics drawn to the chaos around them. "What... Unicron did this."

"Where is my grandfather?!" Minerva shot up from within Megatron's servo, her face displaying alarm. She looked around in a panic, searching.

"He is safe," Optimus assured her. "After we were notified of the attack, my Autobots worked with the military to evacuate the area."

"And where are they now?" Megatron questioned lowly.

Optimus pressed his derma together tightly. "They've barricaded the area. I told them I could help you and most of them believed me."

"So..." Minerva frowned worriedly, "what is going to happen to Megatron now?"

With a small shake of his helm, Optimus looked into the distance. "I don't know."

Megatron spotted the stasis cuffs locked onto Optimus waist and vented softly. He carefully transferred Minerva to Optimus's shoulder and then held out his servos, giving the Prime a look of understanding. He knew his fate.

Pained as Optimus was to admit it, there was no turning back from an attack like this. Both his people and the people of Earth were enraged. If he didn't punish Megatron for his actions, there would be severe repercussions.

"What-" Minerva noticed the shift in the air and then Megatron's outstretched servos. "No. This isn't fair. He was being controlled!"

Optimus placed the cuffs around Megatron's wrists sadly.

Megatron looked at Minerva and offered a small, mournful smile. "Perhaps. But the actions I have taken in the past do not reflect who I am now. I have done many terrible things that need repentance."

Minerva stood up, holding onto Optimus's digits tightly and leaning toward the warlord. "But that's not fair! You've changed!"

"Most will not see it that way."

Minerva scrambled for words, but as they neared the line of Autobots, Megatron gave her a grateful smile. "Minerva, had it not been for you, I would have rotted away in a cave, alone, and then Unicron and Soundwave would have forced me to do terrible things. I would have been enslaved for an eternity. I am grateful for the time and love you have given me."

Tears sprung to her eyes. "That's barely anything! You have your whole life ahead of you! You don't deserve-"

"Minerva," Megatron smiled at her. "I accepted this fate years ago. Please. Don't worry about me, I'll be okay. Go live your life."

Minerva opened her mouth in protest, but nothing came out. Instead, Optimus lightly guided Megatron into the crowd of Autobots, who all glared at the ex-warlord who was at fault for so many lost lives. Sneers and insults were tossed left and right. Minerva's eyes widened as she realized just how many bots truly hated Megatron.

How much damage he must have caused.

Minerva spotted a clearing and the trucks and men littering the ground there. Adjacent to it was a swirling green and blue portal.

"Wait, no," Minerva took a step back. They were going to leave her here and take Megatron into custody. Surrounded by Autobots, he'd be killed in days. She could see it on their faces, the undiluted hatred they had for him.

Her heart raced. Her head spun. Minerva clutched Optimus thumb tighter. Megatron was going to die. They'd just escaped Unicron and now he was going to die anyway.

"Goodbye, Minerva," Megatron said softly, not facing her.

Optimus lowered himself to a knee and held his servo to the floor. "Thank you for what you have given him."

Minerva was reluctant to step away, but a small push from his digit sent her stumbling out of his servo. She whirled around as he stood back up, barely hearing the voice shouting her name from behind or the footsteps heading her way.

This wasn't happening. This couldn't happen.

Minerva watched as the two bots approached the portal and suddenly, she'd made up her mind. Turning around, Minerva's eyes swept over the trucks and equipment before landing on what she needed.

"Minerva!" her grandfather shouted, surprised and alarmed as she suddenly sprinted away.

"Hold on!" she yelled, pulling a gun from a soldier's belt and a megaphone from another. She jumped onto the hood of a van and climbed to the roof, her eyes ablaze with determination.

Minerva turned on heel and shouted into the megaphone.