Wow, things had gone to chaos since he'd last been here. The house— especially the kitchen and living room, littered with bottles, glasses, cups— was trashed.

They must've had friends over last night.

  ...Well, that was their problem. Hyunjin just cleared a space at the table (which stank of sour-smelling liquor, probably whatever foul liquid was left in the near empty bottles he shoved out of his way) and set down his bowl of cereal. And that was all he wanted to do— eat his cereal in peace. Stinky, gross, peace. On second thought, maybe peace was a bit too strong a word; silence might be better, just pleasant, ear-healing silence.

   Still too much to ask for, evidently. A click, like that of an opening door, sounded from upstairs and Hyunjin stiffened, pulling his head away from his bowl, listening intently, eyebrows furrowed. Please, please, no, just let me eat in silence...

   Footsteps. Dammit. Hyunjin deflated, all his hopes for a quiet cereal experience dashed. Maybe if he just got up and made a run for his room now—

   "Oh.

   Hyunjin huffed a half-sigh and looked to the stairs, where his mother was making her way down. 

   "You're home." Her expression was as sour as that horrible smell that had been starting to ruin the sugary taste of Hyunjin's cereal as it clouded his nose. 

   "Don't take it personal,"  she'd told him countless times before. "I can't help it when I'm hungover."

   But Hyunjin never bought it for a second. There was contempt, perhaps disgust, in the way she looked at him. Esepcially now, as she filtered through the room, surverying his appearance (as if, with her hangover-induced sickly pallor and eyebags, she was in any state to be doing so). "And you still haven't cut your hair," she grumbled, reaching out to muss it as she scowled.

   Hyunjin ducked away from her incoming hand. Her frown deepened as she pulled away and wrapped her arms around herself, shuffling away to get herself a glass of water with a vaguely disappointed-sounding sigh.

   Hyunjin continued on with his cereal with a pinched nose and a curled upper lip. He didn't want to put up with this anymore. He slid his phone out of his pocket.

...

COLLEGE IDIOTS 🤧

HYUNJIN

soooo can i like

HYUNJIN

spend the rest of the weekend with someone

HYUNJIN

plz

JISUNG

uh oh :( your parents are at it again?

HYUNJIN

they never stopped

HYUNJIN

ahah

FELIX

aw :(((

FELIX

you can hang out with me!!

...

   He smiled wide at his phone screen. And before he could get a weird look from his mother, he put his face down to the lip of his cereal bowl and drank the last of the milk.