C H A P T E R E I G H T

Valerie

          It was already the next day. Even worse, it was almost time for dinner. My nerves rushed in and my hands wouldn't stop shaking. I barely got any sleep yesterday after Knox left. I was too scared for what might happen today and I started getting headaches back to back. I'm pretty sure this is one of these moments where I'm completely lost on what to do.

          I finished the final touches to my makeup, got dressed up in a white long sleeve shirt, a black skirt, and black knee high socks. This should be enough to cover parts of me I don't feel like hiding with makeup. This should look classy enough even, basic but classy.

          I put my hair into a messy cute bun. My head had enough yesterday. Hair down is easier to pull than tied up hair anyways, I should know.

          I stare at myself in the mirror soaking in how I currently look and I barely recognize myself. One day I hope I'll be able to smile at myself in the mirror instead of frowning all the time. That would be refreshing.

          That makes me think about the times I smiled with Knox. The way I smile with him should be an everyday thing. Sadly it's not. Honestly the days I was beaten are starting to become good days because those were the days I spent with Knox. Those were the days I actually felt happy and free. Feelings that are practically a stranger to me. Feelings I want permanently so badly.

          "Valerie, hurry up!" I flinched as my father screamed.

          Guess I lost track of time. I gathered a few of my belongings I needed and headed downstairs. Overthinking can wait for later.

           My father was already in the car by the time I made it downstairs. I made my way to the car and got in. As I got in my father's eyes pierced through me and sent trembles through my body. I'm still fidgety from two days ago.

          "This is your moment to redeem yourself. Don't embarrass yourself nor me, and speak when spoken to. Do you understand?"

          Of course I did. I understood the first time, the second time, the third, the fourth, and every other time those same lines ever left his mouth. If I wanted to I could easily lip sync him.

          "Yes father," is all I said. Like the good, submissive, little girl I used to be and still am. Nothing has changed nor do I think it ever will.

          He kept a straight face and drove off.

          We got to Comello's home. A warm smile by Mr.Comello himself was waiting outside for us. Knox was nowhere in sight. I thought he would be here considering he presented the invite.

           Maybe he's inside?

          "Welcome the both of you. Please come inside and enjoy dinner." Mr.Comello led us in. "Thank you." I smiled. Mannerism is important, especially when you're being watched.

          We arrived at the table and still no sign of Knox. He never really did show up before, with the exception of those few times, but I thought he would today. I guess I thought things were different.

          Would it be wrong if I asked where he is?

          "Hmm I thought your son would be here since he invited us." My father commented before I could ask. Saved by the bell it seems.

          "I thought so too. He was the one who initiated this dinner and said he was going to attend. It's weird that he's not here." Mr.Comello scratched the back of his neck.