Chapter 2

As promised, I brought Lauren to the courthouse with our kids so they could be a part of the day. Along with them was my best friend Jeff Lynne ,who has been a big part of my music endeavors over the last few years, and his wife Sandi.

"We are all so happy this day is here," Annie hugged us both and Darry nodded in agreement.

"Truly," Ollie then added, "you have cared for us our whole lives and now here we all are standing witness to our parents making their marriage official once more."

"I shouldn't have waited this long," Lauren said looking from Ollie to me.

"Mama you look beautiful," Ethan then said in his cute little voice to Lauren and she almost began to cry and cracked a smile. It was like Glyn was here with her in spirit.

I was delighted that this outing was kept quiet from the media or any of our other family and friends. We wanted it to be a day for ourselves and I was grateful this day was finally here.

Lauren has been my partner in everything during these last few years but having her be my wife again, officially, is the greatest gift I could be given.

"Let's celebrate!" Jeff said when we began to leave.

I decided a night out at an old restaurant would be a good choice. I called ahead and reserved half of the restaurant for just us.

The look on Lauren's face when she put two and two together was heart warming. This was the location of our first date after we met. This was where she got drunk off of wine and I brought her back to our first home to take care of her.

We shared the story with the kids and our friends and they all were excited we were here.

Sandi and Lauren sat down at one end of the long table and Jeff and I at the other with the kids in between.

"I'm so happy for you," he said happily and patted me on the back, "you have a nice tan, a new marriage, and a new album."

We both laughed at the thought of this being a new marriage. I have loved Lauren for twenty years now and that has never changed.

"I don't know how we are going to fly across the world and away from them," I shook my head.

"Well let them come with, it has been some time since Lauren has been back, no?" He asked.

"It has," I nodded, "I just don't think she's ready to go back."

"She wasn't ready to get married again and now here we are," he added.

I looked down the table at my family and then at Lauren.

She was laughing with Sandi about something and then Ethan joined in. Soon everyone was laughing because of how infectious her laugh is.

Later that evening when we were alone together I brought up the idea of her coming with.

"I leave for Los Angeles in a few days and we still have our home there," I said to her.

"I'm sure it's been well taken care of," she nodded and started to change the subject, "I think I want to plant in the garden tomorrow."

"I was hoping that tomorrow you could pack some things for you and for Ethan."

"You want us to come with?" She asked and then looked like she saw a ghost.

"I would like that," I nodded, "I will be meeting with executives on Friday for the label and discussing my albums release and you both could visit with Tom or maybe..."

"I would like that," she cut me off. I was surprised.

Tom Petty visits us often. He is like a second father figure to Ethan. He and Lauren both felt immeasurable guilt after Glyn's death. Like they each were responsible. It bonded them more than most people could bond. He was her newest confidant and protector.

....

The next few days passed very quickly and we flew to LA together with the older kids staying home. They were at the ages where they could do as they please and we trusted them not to get into trouble.

England is their home and they preferred it over visiting America.

Ethan was just happy to be in an airplane and so excited to see his Uncle Tommy.

That was the first stop I promised Lauren upon our arrival. Jeff was with us and so the three of us and Ethan walked up to Tom's estate. He buzzed us in the gate and then greeted us at the door.

"The lovely Lauren," he gave her a hug immediately.

"Hello Tom," she said not wanting to let go of his embrace.

Tom eventually did let go and his attention was on Ethan.

"There's the little guy, you've grown so much since I last visited," he gave him a high five.

"I'm six years old now," Ethan told him.

"I know you are," he responded, "I remember the day you were born very well."

We all chuckled and then I gave my good friend a hug. I had brought my favorite guitar over to him to re-tune for me. He has a skill like no other when it comes to restorations on guitars. I trusted him and he knows I would be upset if anything happened to it.

"Yeah I will work on it this afternoon," he assured me.

Then Jeff and I left to head to the meeting with the producers, leaving my wife behind. I told her she could tell Tom about us getting married when I left. I knew he would be upset he wasn't there to be a witness.

I knew how important this meeting was. Today was make or break for getting this new album approved, titled and out there for my fans.

"Gentlemen," our main chairman Mo Ostin walked in to greet us.

I stood up to shake his hand and he encouraged me to sit back down.

"How are the kids?" He asked me to which I responded that they were great and then he asked the same of Jeff.

It was like he didn't actually care but was getting through the formalities before getting down to business.

Others came in and we sat and listened to all the demos and they counted out the tracks and planned their releases. It isn't fun being tied to a label and having these men making all the decisions on my creative efforts.

"We need one more song," Mo finally concluded after hours of us all moving things around.

"We need something worthy of going out there as the first single off the album. We have the second but this needs to bring in the sales. Do you have anything written?" He asked me.

This I was not prepared for. I have gone through all my unfinished pieces and haven't started any new ones.

"Yeah a few," I lied.

"Are any of them worthy of being a single?" He asked and I looked at Jeff.

"Oh yes, I will see what I can do," I nodded.

"Let's meet back here in two days," he then dismissed us, "you bring me that song and then we are in business.... We will be on Cloud Nine."

That was it. 

The title of the new album.