Hell Hath No Fury...

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"And what do you believe in?"

"...kindness. Love. Courage. The kind that comes not because one is fearless but because one has much too lose and chooses to dive in, anyway. You embody these virtues. As does Nikolai. You will be great rulers. Ravka is a lucky country."

"You are... Really eloquent. I feel sort of dull next to you."

"You are the Sun Summoner. Your glow is bright no matter where you are. Anyone could tell you that. Knowledge is a great love of the Zemeni but I believe a map maker has quite a bit of her own knowledge, no? Do not disregard your own unique magic, Alina. It lives within us all, something the small science or merzost or all the alchemy of the world could never give shape."

"...How did you know about that? It's been so long since I thought of my old life. I hope it wasn't Nikolai talking about me." She was smiling. Ixora thought she was beautiful. Then again, she found all people beautiful. It could be rather distracting, sometimes, especially when it came to Nikolai. Silencing her mind, she took Alina's hands in hers.

"He will love you well. And I am glad. After all you've been through together and apart, you both deserve it. But... Please take care of him. Nikolai... I feel he is hiding things. Well, of course he is, I haven't seen him in around a decade!" There was a smile on her face as she shook her head, one that didn't reach her eyes. "I'm sorry. I don't know why I'm so worried about him. When I came to Ravka, I had hoped to see him for a moment, laugh about old times, perhaps find out the reason why he..."

Forgot me.

"Why he disappeared but instead... Well. Life likes to change at the drop of a hat. We all have our experience with it. It probably revels in the chaos. Because what is existence itself but chaos that begat more?"

"If you are so concerned, I think you should talk to him more, Ixora." That... Was not what she'd been expecting. Perhaps some jealousy over the way she'd just spoken so plainly about her fiancé. But no, Alina looked at her with understanding and even fondness. Ixora felt undeserving of such sweetness. It made her feel a little sick. She hadn't even realised she was shaking her head until Alina's fingers brushed her cheek. "I'm serious. In fact, I came here to talk to you about something really important, actually-"

Zoya suddenly ran into the room, sending Alina a death glare while she completely disregarded the other person within. "I knew you'd be here. Saints, Alina, there's a meeting and you and I both have to be there! Hurry up!"

Alina groaned softly but nodded, taking Ixora's hand. "Uhm... Moya tsaritsa?"

"C'mon. I dunno what they want to argue about this time but... I'd like you to come. As my friend."

"...oh." Ixora wasn't sure what to say. In her home, she didn't exactly have friends. Their village was some way from the vast cities of Novyi Zem and all the people had such... Reverence for she and her family. Only some of the younger children didn't until their parents eventually told them the story, crushing the only friendships she could have. At least she had the butterflies. And now, she had three possible friends all at once. Overwhelmed, she only nodded, trying her hardest not to smile at the thought of seeing Nikolai again or the warmth of the Sun Summoner's hand.

It was a mess, Ravka... But it was sort of nice to be away for a while, too.

Ixora found herself anxious to enter. But she did, choosing to enter some steps behind Alina out of respect for her crown. The look on Nikolai's face when his future wife entered the room... She felt some part of her weep, even as she put on the most fake regal smile in her arsenal to join the group. She had no business being there. She had no business wishing her old friend would look at her that way, either.