prologue

[the one thing nekoma high sucks at.]

"Don't stress out guys, it's just one competition of the season. There'll always be a next, there'll always be time to improve. But for right now, let's go out, do our best, and have some fun, okay?"

That's what I always said when the season comes around. Whenever the newbies got panicky right before their performance, those exact words would calm them down. And of course, it's no different this time.

We'd go on like normal, do what we always do: quickly walk onto the field, set up our equipment, and then start the field show. We danced for an exhausting nine minutes but it always went by so quickly. In just a blink of an eye, we would have ended our show with a bang. It was all over in nine minutes.

And when the indoor season came around, we'd do the exact same thing: walk into the gym, quickly pull out the floor and set up the equipment, and then start the show. This performance? It was over in three minutes.

No one ever really stayed long enough for awards. No one besides the captains and me. Maybe the new members if they didn't know much about the sport. If they didn't know about our team's reputation for the predictable placing. But the others? They knew what the team would usually get. They didn't want to see it. But I kept hope. I always hope for us to score higher and higher. Well... I guess my hope wasn't enough to compete against the other schools and their better coaches and funding and better flags.

You know, our ranking was the same as it's been in every competition so far.

Dead last.

Look, it's my last year here at Nekoma High. My third time around being a part of the Color Guard team—oh sorry, the Marching Band. See, the band director, Shino Sensei didn't like the idea of Color Guard being its own thing so he decided to call it a unit of Marching Band.

Whatever. I didn't care that much about what it was called. It didn't take away from the meaning or the purpose of the sport. Whether it was called a unit of Marching Band or even just 'the flag spinners', Color Guard would always be about spinning flags, tossing rifles, and catching sabres.

And losing.

Nothing about Color Guard would change.

At least that's what I thought.

——

Word Count: 402

Here it is! The debut of my Haikyuu fic Heartbeat Circle. 

I do hope you enjoyed the prologue and the set up into the story. If you're hesitant to start reading because you think you wouldn't get the Guard and Marching Band references, then don't be afraid to ask! I'm gonna try my best to explain everything that the characters experience so that you guys understand it. It should be easy enough to get... But I won't mind answering questions if there are some confusing things. 

Okay, gonna actually go and finish editing chapter one so you guys can read it.

I'm excited for this story!

But if I don't upload quick enough for your impatient brains, I do have other fics up for you to read! An ongoing Haikyuu story (finished writing, just editing now!) and a part-one finished Harry Potter story!

Signing off!