Chapter 10 - Memory

Start from the beginning

I recognized one of them, he came with a Country with two red stripes horizontally on either side of a large yellow one on his face. It was Poland, I think, from Germany's conversations. I had only met him once before, when I was really young and had just come to the base.

The next pair of Countries I didn't recognize. One of them was yellow and blue, with a beautiful sky-blue scarf embroidered with various flowers in white thread around his neck. The Country who accompanied him was heckin tall Country with an ushanka on his head.

The third plane held only one Country, but his elegance outweighed the fact that he had no Country accompanying him. I vaguely recognized him from Germany's descriptions. He moved fluidly and gracefully, with underwater-like movements.
This was Italy. And he had three bloodthirsty Empires after him, with two of them being Apex. Byzantium and Western Roman didn't originate from, you know, ancient Italy, they were basically Roman Empire cut in half, but they helped Roman out anyway because they were technically siblings.

Poland and his companion reached us first and they took turns shaking hands with Britain and me. I was pretty sure Poland recognized me because his face broke out in a soft, beaming smile when he saw me.

    "Y/nnnn!" He tackled me in a hug, spun me around several times and set me down. I tried to control my giggles.
    "It's good to see you too, Poland."
    "I haven't seen you in a long time, how are things? I heard Germany say something about magic powers-"
    "Well," I conjured a small bubble and made it levitate a small key out of Poland's pocket. I grinned at Poland's astonished face before it exploded into utter delight. "I'll just say that I've been having a great time."

Poland gently popped the bubble and twirled his key.
    "Glad to hear that."

Poland then ushered his companion forward, who had just finished conversing with Britain.
    "Y/n, this is Spain. He's helped me and Germany countless times during this war."

Spain smiled cheerfully as I shook his hand.
    "Germany's told us quite a lot about you actually." I tried to hide my surprise.
    "He - he did?"
    "He seemed pretty affectionate when talking about you." Spain shrugged. "I wouldn't read into it too much. You have been in one of his camps for a long time, right?"
    "Yeah, I guess."

The second pair had reached us, with Italy tagging along. They exchanged friendly pleasantries with Britain, then turned their gazes shyly towards me.

I learned that the Country with the blue scarf was Ukraine. He had that gentle, calming type of personality, a little like Poland but he was more energetic.  I also had the feeling that if Ukraine were to be threatened, he could also be pretty vicious.
The heckin tall Country who had accompanied Ukraine was the tallest Country I had ever seen. He was Russia, I think, he had this quite elegant accent.

Italy managed a gentle handshake with me before he dropped his hand to his side. There were shadows under his eyes, and he looked like the tiredest Countryhuman I had seen so far, apart from Germany and Britain. I guess that Spain also looked wan, but not as much as this poor Country.
"Are you alright?" I asked hesitantly. Italy started and looked at me with an expression that was half sheepish, half surprised.
"Yeah, just a lot on my mind."
The fight against his counterparts must have taken such a toll on him. This guy looked ready to collapse.

I tore my mind away from Italy and followed Britain, who was beckoning all of the Countryhumans inside the base.

———