Chapter 9: Tea, trust, and truth

An Adeptus.

A guardian of Liyue, bound by contract to protect its people from demons and evil gods. A mighty, long-living being who possesses abilities far beyond your comprehension.

It's hard to fathom.

And it means that he's...not human.

But is it true?

For all you know, you're reading it wrong, or the book is a hoax, and he's just special in some other way.

Special! What if that's all there is to it? What if you're wrong and he's simply, undeniably, human?

See this through, you tell yourself. You've come this far. Why shouldn't you deserve a definitive answer, an answer from the man himself?

Yes, you'll get your answer, you'll get—

Zhongli strides into the room, carrying a teapot and two matching pale blue teacups on a metal tray.

Well, you suppose you'll be getting it now.

That is, if you can work up the confidence to ask.

You close the book and try to keep your eyes downcast as Zhongli sets everything on his desk. The trickling pour of steaming hot tea fills your ears, slight and soft and—

Archons, your hands. They're shaking like leaves.

"Found anything?" His deep voice almost makes you startle, fingers clutching at the book in your grasp.

You have to get ahold of yourself. Honestly, how can you expect to ask him anything if you're all out of sorts? He's the same Zhongli you met a few months ago. The same! There's nothing to be afraid of.

"Yes, actually." It comes out airy and forced, and you have to will yourself to just breathe.

He's walking over.

You swallow hard as he stops short in front of you, and why, why, why is he so close?

Maybe it's all in your imagination.

You raise your head, struggling to meet his amber eyes; they gleam like honey in the sunlight seeping from the office windows.

"Are you...feeling alright?" he asks, features outlined in concern. "You look a little pale."

You try to laugh, but it comes out more like a strangled huff. "Y-Yeah, I'm fine," you say, even as your stomach twists with anxiety.

It's now or never.

"I uh, had a question about the book you showed me."

He nods.

Ask.

"You see, I was wondering if..."

Ask.

"There's this page-"

Ask!

"I-"

Oh, what the hell.

"Are you an Adeptus?"

There's a moment of hesitation, a brief sliver of doubt, but he shakes it away.

"Yes."

***

It's a lot to take in, but Zhongli does well explaining it.

As a minor Adeptus, he's only a few hundred years of age and relatively new to their ranks; you're unsure whether 'only' and 'a few hundred years' should be included in the same sentence.

And his abilities, well, they're "quite simple." Merely manipulating elemental energy for now. He says he hopes to learn more in the near future, with the assistance of the other, more experienced Adepti.

"What do you think?" He questions, sounding troubled. The two of you are currently sitting at his desk sipping lukewarm cups of tea.

"What do I think?" You chuckle, smiling down at the tinted liquid. "I think you're amazing."

He looks so shocked you almost burst into laughter. "Really? This doesn't change anything?"

"Why would it change anything?"

"I suppose it's because I was keeping an important secret from you," he says, his tone softer.

"Well, you can't really go about telling people you're an Adeptus when you don't want them to know," you giggle, basking in his resulting smile. "But I assume you're aware of that."

"You assume correctly." He takes a sip of his tea, making a point to catch your eye. "I must ask, though, how did you figure it out?"

You tap your teacup with a fingernail. "The tea gave it away."

"When I went to get us tea today?" he inquires, confusion clear in his demeanor.

You shake your head. "No, when you drank my tea. Do you know how long the effects of that earl grey are supposed to last?"

"How long?"

"At least five minutes."

"Oh."

You laugh again upon seeing his realization. "Mhm. You barely lasted five seconds."

"Well, I guess it's no use trying to hide it from you," he says, lips upturning gently. For some reason the words send pleasant tingles down your arms, prompting a comfortable warmth to stir in your core.

"How many are aware of your..." You trail off, searching for the right term. "Status?"

"No one but you truly know, though I believe some suspect," he replies. "The funeral director, Hu Tao— she seems to harbor some suspicions."

It makes you feel...special, being the only one to know his position as an Adeptus. And it's silly, but there's also part of you that hopes he doesn't tell anyone else.

"Let's keep this a secret between the two of us, shall we?" he queries.

"Yes, we shall..." you say, meeting his eyes with an easy smile.

"...on one condition."