The Resurrection

En başından başla

"Ma'am, put 'em up on the dashboard," said the officer to Anissa, who was recording everything on her phone.

"Anissa, put your hands on the dashboard!" Dad yelled.

"Dad, I have the right to videotape if I want to!" Anissa said.

"Damn it, Anissa, just do it now!" Dad yelled, making Anissa put down her phone.

The one who handcuffed dad took him to the police car. For a few minutes, he finally uncuffed dad and let him go.

Dad wanted to know what all this was about, but the officer wouldn't tell him anything at first. As dad was getting angry at the cop, the siren lights and lamp post light started flickering.

This was the night, in the rain,
with thunder and lightning as a witness, that Black Lightning was born again.
____________________________________

"We all know that this city is in a crisis. But under the leadership of Principal Jefferson Pierce, Garfield High is an oasis of hope," the spokeswoman said as at the podium.

"This Olympic gold medal-winner came back to his old neighborhood of Freeland to turn it around. With graduation rates now in the nineties, Jefferson does it all with the help of an outstanding faculty and his family."

We were sitting at a table in the gym for the fundraiser, listening to this lady as she talked about dad and our family.

"His oldest daughter, Anissa, is a medical school student and teaches three days a week at the school as a health educator," she continued. "His two youngest, Jennifer and Leon, are standout scholar athletes just like their father."

As the lady continued talking, dad looked around the table and noticed that Jennifer was around anymore before looking at me.

"Where's your sister?" He asked me.

"In the bathroom with Kiesha," I said.

"I'll go check on her," Anissa said, getting up from the table.

Once Anissa was gone, I looked at dad and asked him if I could go to Khalil's place. He gave me a look before he sighed and said I could go. I got up from the table and left the gym to see Jen and Kiesha exiting the girls' bathroom wearing different clothes.

"Where the hell you two going?" I asked them.

"Don't tell Anissa or dad, but we're going to Club 100," Jennifer said.

"Really, Jen," I said.

"Come on, Leon, twin pact," Jen said.

"Fine, I won't say anything. You just better be safe out there," I said with a sigh.

"Thanks, twin," she said, leaving with Kiesha.

I shake my head and go to my locker to get a change of clothes, and then go to the boy's bathroom and change. Once I was done, I left the school and walked to Khalil's place.

"Alright, who's ready to get their ass kicked in Mortal Kombat," I said, barging into Khalil's room.

____________________________________