35: Ember

GOLIATH

It's unclear when I portal into Demise's land that things have changed. In fact, it seems as though everything is exactly as it was. But things have had to change. Not only have I left, but I have seen the agricultural turmoil that has ripped through this land. The reports have come in that Land of Stephan has been plummeting into starvation since I left.

So much has been left unchanged that even when I land, wolves part and lower their heads to me in respect of their segundas which means two things. The first, I miss it. I miss the respect that was given to me because of my status. I had worked so fucking hard for it for so long that I savored it. No one disrespected me within House Dae, but no one revered me either and it bothered me how much it...bothered me.

I missed the power. I missed the way people looked up to me for the answers. I missed it and fuck, being honest, I missed Demise and Grace. I miss the way Grace would find me to dance or to help her garden and I miss the way Demise would pull me aside to people watch at the border.

He was a funny man. He didn't let most see it, but he was genuinely one of the funniest people I knew. His sense of humor was dark and stale, but hysterical.

The second, Demise had yet to take away my title. Not officially, at least.

"Royal Segundas Goliath," a soldier greets.

"Mika," I respond with a nod. "How are you?"

"I am alive," is what he says, and behind his voice is uncertainty. "How was your mission?"

Ah, I see. So that was the lie he told to keep the gossip at bay. "It was well."

The hair on the back of my neck rises and I know by the murmurs that start that Demise has come. He must have sensed my link. I turn and there he is, large and firm yards away. He looks tired, but well.

"Goliath?"

Behind him, Grace peaks out and she smiles brightly before bounding toward me. Her arms wrap around my shoulders and lean down so I wouldn't stress her back which must be so tired from the very pregnant belly. She's plump and glowing, her hair coloring to green at its ends which seems to be very new. She's radiant.

"We have missed you so much."

"I have missed you too, Gracie." I settle into her embrace, finding comfort in a friend that had always been a friend. I remember like it was yesterday that she had just been a chosen and Demise had taken an interest in her. I remember how insecure she had been and how she didn't know the true power she had. I had the privilege of watching her grow into a Prima and it was one of the greatest privileges of my life.

"How have you been? How is Arden?"

"I am well," I say. "But it's critical that you bring Althea here. Zielle is in labor and Althea is the next best healer."

She pulls away and nods. "Yes, of course." I know Grace feels like she owes Zielle something because she had told her that she was no longer critically ill. "Right away. I can link Primus Xerxes."

"You can mind link that far, now?"

She blushes coyly and looks at her mate before looking back at me. Cheekily and confident, she smiles. "The baby has heightened my abilities. I'm almost as strong as Demise."

"I knew you would be one day."

She rushes away, leaving Demise and me standing before one another. "How is your moon, brother?"

The mention of her brings a grin to my face. It elates me. "Beaming. You're going to be blessed with a pup soon."

"In a fortnight is when it is expected," he says. A rare and beautiful smile that regresses his age spreads on his face. "It's a boy."