Chapter 9: In The Prison Walls

A armored Sky'wing walked through the prison, stopping by their post next to one of the cells. The guard yawned, leaning against the wall. Their spear slumped to the ground as the Sky'wing closed their eyes and dozed off momentarily.

A long tail slithered through the prison bars beside the Sky'wing, silently making its way toward the guard. The spike on its tip wove itself through the keychain on the Sky'wing's waist, beginning to carefully retreat back into the cell.

"Just what do you think you're doing?" An arm suddenly grabbed the tail, yanking it out of the cell. Another guard growled furiously while the sleeping one awoke in confusion. The guard grabbed the keys, letting go of the tail.

Oviraptor stepped back from the metal bars, flickering his forked tongue at the two Sky'wings. He chuckled, "You got me." He twisted his tail.

The guard with the keys snarled, "Don't test me. Try anything again and you'll be moved to live in a torture chamber instead." The Sky'wing forcefully threw the keys into the sleepy guard's face with a snarl, "Looks like I need to have a word with the general about your work attitude." They twisted around and stomped off toward the exit of the prison.

The sleepy guard gasped, "No- WAIT! Not the general!" They stuffed the keys into their bag and ran after the other guard with a panicked look on their face, "I DIDN'T MEAN TO-OH COME ON! GIVE ME A BREAK!" They quickly left the dungeon as well.

DarkShark sighed, "Really?" She glared at the Sand'wing momentarily from the back of the cell, "It was that easy. Aaaand you screwed it up." The dark dragon seemed disappointed.

"What? How could I have seen the other guard? I was standing backwards!" Oviraptor questioned, turning his head toward his cellmate.

The dark dragon placed a talon on the stone wall beside her and scraped it, "At least be glad we didn't get in trouble for that. Yet." She slowly scratched the shape of a dragon into the wall, "We're gonna be here for a looong while." She rolled her eyes.

The Sand'wing frowned slightly, "You're a really negative dragon, you know." He raised an eyebrow at the wall scribbles, "What are you drawing?"

"i've got to do something while I'm here, no?" DarkShark continued scraping away at the wall without looking back at the Sand'wing, she added a sail to the dragon she was drawing, "It's my mother," She added some more details, "I haven't seen her for a while. Figured if I was gonna be here for the rest of my life I should at least have a way to remember how she looked like."

Oviraptor squinted his eyes at the scribble, before looking back at her with a concerned face, "Come on, don't be like that, we'll get out of here one day." He chuckled, "But, I guess drawing is pretty cool. I only met a few artists before. How's your mother like?"

The dark dragon shrugged, "I wouldn't call myself an artist. I'm just bored." She finished the scribble, "She was nice. She helped my Night'wing father find a home. Though, the other Sea'wings never liked her or my father much, at least that's what she told me. I got curious and flew off from our cave, never seen em again. Probably should've told you earlier that I'm not actually fully a Sea'wing, but a hybrid."

"Whoa," The Sand'wing exclaimed, "She sounds like a nice dragon! I'm sure you'll see her again someday. My family's out there somewhere in Pyrrhia too, I wonder what they're doing." He raised an eyebrow, "Wait, you have Night'wing in you? Can you read minds?"

DarkShark laughed, "HAH!" She turned her head away from the wall and toward Oviraptor, "I wish. I have NO Night'wing features whatsoever. I got the short end of the stick." She stood up and walked past the Sand'wing, walking up to the prison bars and looking out into the prison. She tapped her talons against the metal, creating fairly-loud clanking noises. "Sea'wing! Is that guy awake yet? Is he dead and rotten? It's been hours! Don't leave us in the dark."

Oviraptor winced at the loud noise, then walked up to the metal bars as well. "Hm...you're right! what about him?" The Sand'wing couldn't help but wonder as well to what happened with the unconscious dragon in the other cell. He was a bit caught off guard by the fact that no medics seemed to come by to help.

"He is." A voice answered as a dragon walked from the back of the cell, but it wasn't the Sea'wing, it was the hybrid himself. He looked exhausted, but clearly had enough energy to walk and talk. He blinked slowly, sitting down closer to the glass. "Can you stop with that noise?" Azure'shard asked, turning his head momentarily to look behind him into his cell, Pristine was asleep by one of the walls. He whipped his head back to the two dragons in the other cell, "She is sleeping. And you woke me up with all that talking, too."

Oviraptor gasped at the hybrid's sudden appearance, he certainly wasn't expecting that, considering he looked dead as hell just a few hours ago. He exclaimed, "Thank moons!" He turned to DarkShark, "See? I told you he wasn't 'dead and rotten' or 'If he doesn't make it, oh well'"

"Wow, how funny." DarkShark chuckled, "I wasn't serious about that. Of course he's not dead." She turned back to look toward Azure'shard, "Are you sure you don't need another nap? You look rough."

The hybrid hissed, putting his talons on the bandaged wound on his neck, it still hurt, a lot, but the bleeding has stopped long ago. "I just slept, that was enough." He glared at DarkShark slightly, "You guys thought I was gonna die? From an injury like that? I'm not some weakling that dies from-"

"I don't know, dude. You were seriously bleeding until the Sea'wing patched you up. What happened anyway?" Oviraptor interrupted concerningly, "Was it a fight in the arena again? Sheesh... you sure go there a lot."

Azure'shard sighed, "No," He scratched his head, "Not really, I don't know. It was strange." He turned his head, looking into the rest of the prison, "There were Night'wings there, and this gigantic Sand'wing, and the Queen. The Night'wings looked royal. I had to fight the Sand'wing, I don't know how it even...and why there."

"Royal?" Oviraptor tilted his head, "Thats... quite the bad luck. Royalty can be trouble for dragons like us." He shrugged, "At least you're good now. Are you?"

The hybrid stood up and turned around away from the glass, "Yeah. For now." He walked further to the back of his cell and laid down, placing his head on the ground to try and rest some of the pain on his neck away. He kept his eyes open, though, making sure to keep his guard up in case someone were to come by his cell again.

The Sand'wing in the other cell nodded, before turning away as well. He twisted his head toward DarkShark momentarily, "Let's just be quiet and let him rest, he does look rough." He chuckled under his breath silently and sat down.