Inside the Wall

I wasn't awoken by the normal Cali greeting, nor by a kick to the face, but by a butterfly landing ever so slightly on my left ear.  The sensation of it walking there made me give my ear a gentle jerk.  I felt the beats of its' wings flutter as it flew away.  I titled my ear again sleepily to listen to Cali's slow breaths... but when I heard none, I open my eyes.

I lifted my head and turned towards where I had left her next to me.  Mud was there still tightly curled, June's head was thrusted into his side.  I quickly got to my feet, my green eyes scanning every inch of the cardboard.  I leaned in, smelling which direction she might have gone.

Mud opened one eye lazily.  "What is it?"  He yawned.

I lifted my head to follow the scent and saw Cali sitting at the mouth of the cave.  Her back was to us, as if she was lost in thought.  Mud, annoyed I did not answer, stood to stretch his paws forward.  June awoke to the sudden movement; from that position, I was surprised that her secret had been kept so long.  Mud and I exchanged glances and walked toward Cali.

"Good morning!"  She seemed startled when we each took a side.  She leaned in close to give me a quick face touch.  As she turned to Mud, she exchanged a slow blink.

"Why up so early beautiful?"

"The new rains bring in fresh game," Cali looked excited for a fresh meal.  "And fresh water!  I want to go get breakfast first thing."

"So early?"  Mud asked watching Cali hop down onto the small ledge below.  He sighed heavily before lazily following close behind.

I turned to see June slowly joining us.  "Are... are you sure you are okay to come?"

June nodded.  "The storm gave me a great chance to have a good deep sleep."

We followed Mud and Cali down the pipe leading towards the ravine.  The rain shower made the green vines glow new with green leaves, and the humidity felt nice on my paws and ears.  "Oh, this is nice," Mud stretched out in a pool of sunshine.  "Come on over Honey, the water is fine!"

"That is the only time I'll take an offer to swim," June giggled as she sprawled out in the patch of yellow.

Cali looked sharp and serious.  I trotted over and saw the look of adventure on her face.  "I wonder what we will discover today?"

"Maybe some new hieroglyphs left by the Ancients," I comment with a grin.

Cali smiled at my suggestion.  "That would be interesting.  Or maybe one of those long-eared rats again!  That fed us both for days!  Do you remember?"

I chuckled as Cali's mind returned to food.  She was a great mate....

"I remember."

I called out and listened as my meow echoed back to me.  This of course was the first step to marking our territory.  "I don't understand why you do that," Mud rolled over on his feet.  "No pride would come within miles of the Glade."

"It's good practice," my defense was only from watching older males.  "Besides that, it might scare off any predators."

"Sure, it would," Mud mumbled under his breath.  After a few moments of travel, we came upon one of the few trees growing within the Glade's walls.  Mud began scratching the bark.  "Now THIS is how you mark territory."

"I can do that too!"  I came over and left my own marks.

"Toms," June rolled her eyes at us.  The girls hopped up onto the ledge to our right further down.  I glanced down the ledge at the cascading waterfall.  Its' never-ending stream was forever lost int other darkness below.