Chapter 21: All's Good?

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Oh so now you're not copying me?" Tricia gave him a side-eye. 

"Oh so now you're not copying me?" Jayden stuck his tongue out. 

"Stop it, Rivera." Tricia pouted. 

"Make me, Robredo." Jayden challenged. 

"You bet I will." Tricia crashed her lips onto Jayden's. The best way to shut him up. 

~

"Sir, this came in the mail for you." Alex handed Jayden an envelope.

"Thanks." Jayden tore it open.

"So, I heard that you're now Sabrina's kuya..." Alex perched himself on Jayden's table.

"Talk later, I've got to meet Sir." Jayden got up abruptly and left, leaving behind a confused Alex.

"Sir, do you have time?" Jayden knocked on Det Torres' door.

"What's up?" Det Torres nodded.

"I got this in the mail today." Jayden placed the envelope and the picture on the table.

"I..." Det Torres' eyes widened. It was a picture of the car crash. The one that changed Jayden's life.

"It's got to be him. He's back." Jayden breathed out.

"You sure you want to do this?" Det Torres asked.

"I am, Sir. For Lola, Papa, Mama. I'll make sure justice is served." Jayden was adamant. 

"As your superior, I still have reservations." Det Torres paused. 

"Sir..." Jayden sighed. 

"As your kuya, I have even more reservations. But you know what I once promised your Papa?" Det Torres looked at Jayden, who was silent. 

"I promised to be there for you like he would. And that's what I'll do." Det Torres smiled, albeit his worries.

"Thank you kuya." Jayden appreciated Det Torres' support more than anything else. 

"Just promise me one thing. Don't get hurt. I've lost your Papa, I'm not losing you." Det Torres was serious. 

"I promise. Like you said, it's not just me. It's Lola and Trish who I'm accountable to." Jayden wasn't going to let them go through the same pain of losing a beloved. 

"I thought you'd find this useful...It's the records of the accident and the details I have about the guy." Det Torres handed Jayden a USB. 

"Thank you, kuya." Jayden took over the USB.

"One more thing. You are to report to me the second you sense any danger. No negotiations." Det Torres ordered. 

"Yes sir." Jayden saluted before leaving.

James...I'm sorry but I promise, I'll keep your anak safe. Det Torres rubbed his temple as he remembered the promise he made to Jayden's father. 

~

"What's on your mind?" Tricia put the book that she was reading down and looked up at Jayden. 

"Wala..." Jayden shook his head. He brushed Tricia's hair to the side as he looked down at the lady lying on his lap.

"That's not a wala face. We both know that." Tricia pouted. 

"So...I was thinking of looking into the car crash." Jayden absent-mindedly played with Tricia's hair. 

"Car crash...you meant it wasn't an accident?" Tricia sat up in surprise. 

"In paper, it was. But kuya and I have been digging and..." Jayden sighed. 

"And?" Tricia blinked. 

"It seems like it was premeditated." Jayden scrunched his eyebrows. 

"How did you find out?" Tricia wondered. 

"It's a long story but the suspect escaped overseas after the crash and now, it seems like he's back." Jayden confessed. 

"What does he want?" Tricia was concerned.

"I don't know. But he needs to pay for what he's done." Jayden shrugged.

"What if he hurts you and Lola?"  Tricia placed a hand on Jayden's arm. 

"I'm worried for Lola and you." Jayden held Tricia's hand. 

"Me? Why?" Tricia was confused. 

"They usually come after people who matter to their target. That's why the crash happened. Mama and I were important to Papa." Jayden explained. 

"But you're in the most danger..." Tricia protested. 

"Trish, I'm telling you this because I want you to know something. I'll do anything to protect you and Lola. You two are the only ones I have left. I'm not letting any of you get hurt because of me." Jayden cupped Tricia's face gently. 

"Then I want you to promise me that you'll protect yourself as well. Lola cannot lose you. Neither can I." Tricia put her hands on Jayden's. 

"I promise. For you and Lola." Jayden assured Tricia.

"And for yourself." Tricia added. 

"And myself." Jayden smiled as he caressed Tricia's cheeks. 

"Thank you for telling me." Tricia appreciated the honesty.

"I told you that I wouldn't hide anything from you." Jayden reminded. 

"I'm behind you always." Tricia gave Jayden a peck on the cheek. 

"Thank you, sinta." Jayden needed nothing more. 

A/N:

Short update and thank you to everyone who has been so patient with me <3