Chapter 65: Friends

Since it was almost time for dinner, my classmates began to make their way down to the commons. Once everyone was there, I introduced Kaede, and let them know she would be staying with us for the time being.

"It's odd that the school is letting her stay in the dorms," Momo said with a small frown. "All of our families have also taken refuge here, but they were assigned to the temporary shelters."

"They most likely don't want to leave the younger Satori unaccompanied," Iida said, pushing up his glasses and addressing the room at large. "This is the most obvious solution to their predicament. So, let's make sure Miss Satori feels welcome and safe here."

"I don't mind her staying here, Kaede's great!" Kaminari said with a smile directed toward the two of us. "But I get what Yaomomo's saying. Why is she getting special treatment?"

"Dunce Face, you really are an idiot, aren't you? Do you think Apples' parents are going to take shelter here after the fuss they put up? It's obvious she came here alone. They're not gonna stick her in some place alone with a bunch of extras since she's underage. Apples is the only one who can look after her."

Kaede turned to look at me, a smirk on her face. "Apples, huh? That's kinda cute."

I rolled my eyes while Shoto sent a scowl her way, but Kaede's smile only grew bigger at Shoto's obvious disapproval.

"And you," Bakugo continued, pointing in our direction with a glare, "Smiley Chick, keep your head down and stay out of our way. Don't cause any trouble and everything will be peachy, you got that?"

"Yes, sir," Kaede replied with a bit of snark in her tone. "Bossy much?" she whispered to me once Bakugo had directed his attention back to his meal.

"Yes, he is, but he means well."

"Not to mention," Sho leaned forward to speak to Kaede, his former scowl nowhere to be seen, "if Bakugo is the one defending you being here, no one else will complain about it. If even he doesn't take issue, the others will let it go."

I nodded my agreement and continued to eat in silence. I wasn't really paying any attention to the chatter going on around us. It had been a little over a week since I'd been burned and, as much as I was itching to move around more, I was tired. This week had been too eventful to give any thought to things that didn't directly concern me. Again, I was too tired.

"By the way," Kaede said, breaking me out of my stupor, "I ran into the Kurakawa twins after I arrived. They stopped me and asked me to tell you they said hello, they hope you get better soon, and that they're thinking about you."

"I had no idea they were here," I said quietly. A sad sigh escaped as I thought about Aki and Aya. I had been a horrible friend, neglecting them for far too long. Despite setting up a time to play games together, since moving into UA, things had gotten busy. Even before that, really. But I hadn't tried to reschedule with them or called to cancel, I just let them slip away without a word. "I should go and visit them. I've got the time since I can't start training for another couple of days anyway."

"Don't feel bad, Kana. They said they know you've been really busy. I think they're really proud to be your friends, even if it means missing out on time spent with you. I know the feeling, I'm proud that I can call you my sister. And, yeah, let's go see them tomorrow."

"Can I come, too?" Shoto asked, propping his chin on my shoulder. 

"Of course, Sho."

Dinner was wrapping up and I wanted to get Kaede settled into her room. After clearing away all our dishes, I said a quick goodnight to my classmates before turning to head to my room, motioning Kaede to follow me. She surprised me, though, by stopping and addressing everyone.