Chapter 1: The First Day at UA

I was nervous...of course I was. Who wouldn't be? But I couldn't stand in front of the huge door forever. Eventually, I'd have to take the plunge and go inside.

Deep breath, Kana, you can do this. You passed the entrance exam, you deserve to be here just as much as anyone else.

I pulled the large door open to the sound of raised voices, one of which I surprisingly recognized.

"Remove your foot from that desk! Such an action is insulting to those who came to UA before us as well as the craftsmen who made the desk!"

"Like I care. What middle school are you from, you extra?"

A boy with green hair was coming into the room behind me, so I quickly headed toward the back of the classroom.

"Hi, Iida," I murmured as I moved past him.

"Satori," he nodded to me before continuing his argument with the angry blonde boy.

"Somei?!" I hear the blonde yell. "A stuck-up elitist, then? I should blow you to bits."

I felt myself sink lower into my seat. I, too, was from Somei. I hoped no one would see me that way, even though it was an apt description for my family. Iida came from an elite family too, but he was never arrogant about it. At least I never perceived him as being arrogant. Despite attending the same school for years, we were never friends. Friendly, since Iida was friendly toward everyone, but never friends. But I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a relief to see a familiar face.

Part of me...who am I kidding...most of me is still shocked I'm here in the first place. I thought being a hero was something unattainable, but here I am. I took the opportunity to scan the room, quietly assessing my classmates. There seemed to be quite a few loud personalities and, much to my delight, even louder hair colors.

I knew it was silly, but I was kinda relieved that my hair wouldn't stand out much in this classroom. For someone as introverted as me, it wasn't my favorite thing to be recognized for something and, in middle school, it was my dark blue-green hair. I already noticed that the boy who came in behind me had a very similar hair color to mine, but I noticed a girl whose shade was nearly identical sitting a few seats in front of me. My hair definitely had more of a bluish tint than theirs but as I continued to look around the room, more specifically at some of the gorgeous girls, I realized I had nothing to worry about. The only way I would be getting noticed in this room...scratch that, no one would be noticing me. I laid my head down on my desk and let out a soft sigh. It was all for the best that way.

I was here to become the best I could be. I was here to develop my quirk so I could help people. I was not here to be noticed by my peers or to make friends. If that was to happen, it would be a lucky bonus. But that's not why I was here.

After giving myself an internal pep talk, I returned my attention to the room where a lot of students had grown silent. Our new teacher had arrived. The scruffy-looking man introduced himself as Aizawa before throwing gym uniforms at us and telling us to get changed.

I picked up a jacket and pants from the pile and followed the other girls to the locker room. No one said much, just a few muttering about what was happening. As we approached the training grounds outside, I saw that the boys were already gathered. I quickly took a spot at the end and listened as Mr. Aizawa gave us the run down for our quirk assessment test.

I'd be lying, if I said I wasn't nervous. I knew my quirk had the potential to be really strong and I had recently been discovering new ways to use it, especially in regards to being a hero. But I wasn't sure how much use it would be in these circumstances. I'd have to get creative.