Chapter 45: Endeavor and the Todoroki Family

Author's note:

First, I just love that manga panel ^. It's one of my favorite Todoroki moments. Second, there is a bit of a manga spoiler in here. It's nothing huge or plot-related to be honest, just a bit of backstory that doesn't come until later. You might not even notice, but wanted to point it out just in case 😁 Edited to say that if you're caught up with season 6 of the anime, you're all good.

The day after the Billboard Hero awards ceremony, I had just come in from working in the courtyard to find several of my classmates sitting in front of the television with worried looks on their faces.

"What's going on?"

Answering without turning his head away from the television, Midoriya said, "Endeavor and Hawks. They're fighting a nomu and it's tearing up the city. You should text Todoroki to come down here."

I immediately pulled out my phone to text Shoto to join us in the commons. Instead of joining my classmates on the couches, I stood behind them, watching as Endeavor's signature move shone brightly through the television screen. Now that Hawks had cleared out the civilians, it looked like Endeavor felt it was safe enough to use a big blast. I breathed a sigh of relief, thinking the fight was over, but gasped when I realized I was mistaken.

"What's wrong, Kana?" Shoto stood at my side, eyes on me instead of the screen.

I couldn't find the words, but stared at him wide-eyed. One hand was covering my mouth in shock, so I used the other to point at the screen. I watched as his eyes grew wide at the sight of Endeavor, blood dripping down his face and the nomu looming over him.

"Todoroki!" Midoriya jumped up, while the rest of our classmates watched on. Midoriya kind of fidgeted, as though unsure of what to do. I could tell he wanted to say something, to offer some kind of comfort to Shoto, but he couldn't come to a decision on what was right in this moment.

I knew there wasn't anything to say as we silently watched the screen, but I slid my hand over and grasped onto Shoto's. We stood, hand-in-hand, silently watching and waiting to see what happened next. More of our classmates began wandering in, immediately drawn to the commotion on the tv. The scene shifted from an aerial view of Endeavor to the civilians on the ground. They were panicking, running scared. The reporter on the ground looked terrified, saying, "this is society without a symbol of peace," while trying to avoid getting crushed by the mob fleeing the scene.

Mr. Aizawa came rushing in from outside, immediately checking on Shoto. But Sho seemed oblivious to everything around him, his eyes glued to the television. My eyes went back and forth between the screen and Shoto, unable to keep myself from checking to make sure he was okay. There were shouts from the crowd of the civilians, but one voice broke through, screaming about Endeavor. "Endeavor's alive and fighting!" the boy yelled into the camera. "Don't give up just because the other guy's gone! There's still a dude out there risking it all for us! Can'tcha see?!" 

The picture changed to a view of the villain responsible for all the destruction, a strange looking black nomu. But Shoto clenched his fists and grit his teeth when Endeavor was shown in pursuit. He was a mess. I'm not sure how he was able to keep fighting, but it seemed as though he wasn't giving up. The kid on the street was right. Endeavor was barely hanging on, but he was risking it all to defeat this villainous nomu. Shoto was clenching his fists so hard he was shaking. Despite feeling pain in my own hand from his tight grip, I didn't let go of him. I felt tears stinging my eyes as I watched my boyfriend give in, if only for this moment. The boy who, like me, held so much resentment in his heart, was trembling at the sight of his father putting his life on the line, fighting through the pain, to keep others safe.