Chapter 9: Past, Present, and Future

I was surprised my father hadn't put up more of a fuss. Not just about interning with Shinji but the internship in general. I would be away from his control for a whole week. It was shocking how rational he was.

"You're going to UA to become a hero. There are things that no amount of training at home can teach you. I am trusting the UA method to make the most out of you. If a week's internship is part of the curriculum then it must have its merits."

So, one week later, my class gathered at the train station, bags in hand, to start our internships. Mr. Aizawa sent us on our way, reminding us to be on our best behavior.

Shinji worked in the area so I could have walked but I was already there so I rode the train to the next station. I felt lucky that hero work was a full-time, all hours of the day type of job. It allowed me to stay right at the agency for the week. That meant a whole week of learning and training at my own pace and getting enough food to eat.

I found Shinji's agency and he was waiting for me in the lobby, decked out in his hero costume.

"Kana! I'm glad you're here. Let me help you with your bags and get you settled then we'll head out for patrol."

"We're not wasting any time are we?"

"I'm a busy guy, in high demand." He chuckled, "Actually, I'm excited to show you what hero work is really all about." He showed me to a studio apartment style room and set my bags down for me. "This is where you'll be staying during your internship with me. You brought your hero costume right?"

I held up my shiny metal case.

"Great. Get changed and we'll head out." He shut the door behind him and I placed my costume case on the bed.

I hadn't seen my costume since I asked for some changes. I'm not even sure if they made any. But as I opened the case the first thing that caught my attention was the dark purple fabric of my new top. A note was attached to the front.

Ms. Satori,
We made the changes you suggested in your email. We thought this dark purple would be more forgiving when it comes to stains but would also complement your coloring. Instead of changing the material, we opted for a thin vest with extra pockets to store first aid materials as well as extra seeds. When the weather gets colder, we'll switch out the vest for a leather jacket. Please get back to us if you have any comments or concerns.

I quickly pulled on my new tunic, loving the color. Next was my leggings, boots, then finally my belt and vest. A quick braid of my hair and I was ready to go.

"Ready, kid?"

"Yes, sir. Hey, Shinji, how do you want me to address you when we're on patrol?"

"Just call me Kamui. I know the whole name can be a bit of a mouthful. What about you? Did you pick a hero name?"

"Yeah. I'm going to use Gaia as my hero name. My teachers agreed it was a good fit for me."

"Hmm. I like it. Okay first things first. I have a standard area that I patrol but I like to switch up the route I take, just in case any criminals are monitoring the area. No sense in being predictable. There's also my phone which is linked to the hero network. It will alert me if there's a crime reported in the area and a hero is needed. That's two of the four main forms of hero work...stopping crimes in progress that you come across and immediately after they've occurred."

"What are the other two?"

"Disaster relief, whether that's from a natural disaster, a fire, or a large-scale villain attack is one. The other is when the police request help for a specific arrest, usually involving extra-dangerous villains. Those requests usually come in when a hero's quirk is suited for capturing or countering the specific villain. I've only done one of those myself as I'm just starting to attract national recognition for my work instead of that documentary."