chapter 2 - the bread

You were stuck in that room

You were stuck in that room. You felt like you couldn't breath. You could hear some people talking but they were too far away to hear anything. After a bit, someone came, it was Effie.

- we..have a problem.

- what.. what do you mean ? you asked, so low that If she wasn't next to you, she wouldn't have heard you.

- uhm we're gonna have to take the girl, we can't choose two boys for a district.

For the second time that day, your heart stopped beating.

- no.. no you can't. you have to choose me !

- it's a boy and a girl, sorry my boy, it's the rules..

- but.. you want a show right ? the Hunger Games, it's just a show. you stutter while she looks at you with a guilty look, if you choose two boys, everybody in Panem will love that.

- you're right but.. it's not to me to decide.. i'm so sorry.. she said, while she started to cry.

- how dare you to cry when you ask me to let a little girl die ? you screamed at her.

You sit on a chair just next to the door. You can't breath, you can't imagine watching Prim dying in that arena, because she wont have a chance.

When Effie was going to say something else, a peacekeeper came.

- we don't have time, we're gonna have to take the boy.

You stand up as you hear the last words. Your Heart tarted breating again. You'll go in that arena. You'll save Prim, and Katniss.

- perfect then ! said Effie happily.

- you'll have 5 fives minutes to say goodbye to your family.

You look at the peacekeeper who nodded at Effie before leaving with her.

For a few seconds you were alone again, but then Prim, Katniss and their mother came at the door.

- y/n ! exclaimed Prim just when she hugged you.

- Why did you do that.. said Katniss with a sad face, it's the first time you saw her like that, usually she acts strong even in bad moments, because she doesn't want Prim to worry. But she looks so tired and so different.

- i don't have time, please you need to understand that you have to take care of them now, alone, i won't be there anymore, you know how to hunt, even better than me. you said calmly to Katniss, even if you heart want to scream, you don't want to scare Prim, even thought she's already scared.

- i will, i promise.

Now you turn to their mother. You hugged her.

- thanks for accepting me in your family, i hope you'll be proud of me.

She didn't answer but you knew in the look on her face that she is already proud of you.

The peacekeeper came at the door.