chapter 1 - the forest

The sun had just risen, you had been awake for at least an hour

The sun had just risen, you had been awake for at least an hour. Your hands were rubbing the wall in search of action . You finally decide to get up, you put on patched pants and a shirt. You glanced at Katniss and Prim who were still sleeping. They weren't your sisters but after the death of your father and theirs you started living with them. Their mother was in the living room, she had fallen asleep in front of the window. You will never be thankful enough for all the things they done for you. You opened the door and a great cool wind ruffles your hair. You walk slowly towards the forest. As you walk you see no one. Today is the reaping for the 74th Hunger Games. Either the people are getting ready or they are resting a bit more. Some people smile at you. You're famous enough here, to survive the winter you sold the animals you manage to hunt with Katniss. You miss those times. You arrive in front of the fences. They should be electrified but you're not stupid. You manage to sneak in and continue walking until you reach the entrance to the forest. You search a few trees before you found the right one. You take the bow that your father gave you before he died. Next is Katniss's but you didn't want to wake her. In these times she's the only one hunting, people in the village are just asking for your help, you don't even have time to hang out with Katniss anymore. So you wanted to give them a present, just before the reaping. You could be chosen but the odds were so slim that you didn't care. Or course, your name is inscribed in most of the papers but like almost all of the seam. The only one who was anxious was Prim. But Katniss was going to reassure her, you were sure of it.

You throw an arrow at a bird you don't recognize but it lands on the tree next to it. You were too tall. All the animals could see you coming. You came from the seam, so let's say that you rarely eat a lot. But by hunting a lot and running you get to be fit. Usually it's Katniss who hunts and you who carry the beasts or trap them. But you have no choice, so you take off your shoes, duck down and try to keep the noise down as you shoot another arrow at a deer. The first of the year. The arrow lands in its head and it falls to the ground before it can try to escape. You raise your head to the sky, the sky was beautiful. It had taken an orange color and the clouds made everything majestic. You were glad you were alive for these moments. You walk slowly towards the deer and carry it on your back. You continue your walk until you pass by the traps you placed last week. You found a rabbit and a squirrel. You smile as you put them in a leather bag that was soon to die from the condition. You take one last look at the forest. A melancholic look as if you felt you weren't going to be able to hunt there for a long time. You come in through a different place. A street that separates the city from the seam. This street is very special for you. After your father died you were hiding there. Your mother was already dead and you didn't know what the peacekeepers was going to do with you So you hid here. You were going to starve, you rummaged through the trash cans looking for food but you found nothing. You were sitting in front of the bakery, you were exhausted and it was raining so much. You saw blurry and you felt the cold freezing you. Until you hear a voice, two voices. A woman one and a little boy one. You were trying to figure out who these people were. You saw after a few seconds of concentrating a boy who was being yelled at by his mother.