Chapter 67

Meanwhile, the starting gate finally opened to much fanfare so Undyne and Papyrus walked through.

"It's about damn time," Undyne grumbled angrily while walking through the gate.

"Apparently, Frisk stalled Mettaton for a little bit longer," Papyrus said looking at his phone while he was following behind her. "Sans said he threw a water bottle and hit Mettaton in the face…"

"Oh, my God! Really?! That's hilarious!" Undyne said not even trying to conceal her amusement.

"Undyne, I don't think we should be encouraging violence," Papyrus protested. "The psychology book I read said that's bad…"

"Pfft. If it's against Mettaton, I say he can be as violent as he wants. Maybe he'll knock him out long enough to run away. Hell, I don't care what he does as long as he leaves something for me."

"But Undyne, that's not nice. Besides, Frisk doesn't want to watch anyone else die. He can't..."

"Frisk isn't going to. He isn't going to watch any of it if I can help it. The poor kid has dealt with enough already. That's why I'm going to do it for him."

"What?"

"Well, me and Sans are. We've discussed it already. If Mettaton doesn't cooperate once he and this Toriel chick do whatever it is they're planning and get Frisk back for good, we are going to end him together. Sans asked me not to tell ya, but it can't be helped now. Me and my big mouth."

Papyrus couldn't believe what he was hearing.

He put his phone away, ran next to Undyne while she walked forward facing straight ahead, and said, "Undyne, you can't do that. It isn't right. There must be another way. Maybe, we could ask him sternly to leave us alone."

Undyne stopped and glared up at him. Papyrus froze nervously, and his demeanor immediately fell as soon as their eyes met. Despite her smaller stature, Undyne still managed to intimidate him.

"Papyrus," Undyne said in the scary, quiet tone she used on the beach. "You know what a royal guard's duty is? It is to administer justice in this world however you can. I used to think that justice meant kicking ass and fighting humans, but now, I know it means kicking ass and fighting the real bad guys. In almost every timeline, I and everyone else have treated Frisk like shit, just because he's a human. I've done him wrong too many times, just because I couldn't see past what he was. That was screwed up, and if I can help it, I'm not going to let myself or anyone else treat him like that again. Do you understand me?"

Papyrus opened his mouth, and nothing came out. He helplessly tried to search for words, and for once, he couldn't find anything to say.

Undyne looked forward, walked past him, and said, "I don't expect you to help, but God dammit, you better not get in our way."

Suddenly, over some kind of intercom, they both heard Mettaton announce, "IF YOU LOVEBIRDS ARE DONE FIGHTING, LET'S START THE SHOW!"

Mettaton's theme music came on as a flying robotic monitor receiving the broadcast from the studio flew over to them.

Undyne grimaced when she saw Mettaton's face and asked, "What? Are you too scared to face us in person?"

"No, it's just that I have a son who can't be left alone for long periods of time without wandering off, so I decided it would be best if I stayed at the studio with him until later."

"My God, you're even more annoying on camera. You better not hurt Frisk, or I'll make your death twice as painful, ya pretentious ass!"

"My, my, you're in quite the sour mood, Undyne, but it's okay," Mettaton replied with a hair flip. "Fortunately, I, for one, am above such petty name-calling. You don't need to worry. I wouldn't dream of hurting a hair on my little darling's head, but you, on the other hand, should calm down or you might get locked up like you know who."