Chapter 12

When sunlight filled Snowdin and came in through the window, Sans woke up. His eyes fell on the child who was still sleeping against his side under his left arm. He smiled. It was cute. It reminded him of Papyrus who used to do the same thing when he was little. Unfortunately, it had to stop.

Sans rubbed Frisk's hair with his left hand and said, "Hey, Frisk. It's morning. I have to go. You need to get off me."

Frisk opened his eyes, mumbled something incomprehensible, and shut his eyes again.

"Come on, kid," Sans said. "I have to use the bathroom. We can't stay like this all day. Don't make me move you by your soul. You know I will. Come on."

Frisk reluctantly rolled onto his left side off Sans and onto the bed.

"Thank you," Sans said as he got up and shortcut into the bathroom.

About ten minutes later, Sans shortcut back in and shook Frisk awake.

"Frisk, get up," Sans said. "I'm going to make us breakfast, but first, I need to show you how to open the bathroom. It's kinda tricky if you don't know what you're doing."

"Why can't we do it later?" Frisk complained.

"Because you need to take a shower, remember?"

"Oh, yeah."

"Come on, Frisk."

Frisk sat up, stretched his arms, and yawned.

"Brush your teeth, too," Sans said. "God, your breath stinks. You're a hot mess."

"It takes one to know one," Frisk said barely opening his eyes.

"Was that back sass I just heard? You and I are going to get along better than I thought. Come on."

Sans started walking towards his door, and Frisk shuffled behind him. He looked around the room and noticed how barely furnished it was compared to Papyrus' room.

"Why don't you have any furniture?" Frisk mumbled while Sans reached the door.

"It's a lifestyle choice," Sans said opening the door and walking out.

Frisk looked around and noticed a key sitting on his dresser.

"What's the key for?" Frisk asked just as he exited the room.

"I'll tell you later," Sans said quickly. "Follow me."

"Whatever."

Frisk followed Sans to the place on the wall where the bone picture was. Then he saw Undyne and walked towards the railing.

"Here, it is," Sans said. "Frisk?"

Sans turned around and noticed that Frisk was standing on tip toes to see over the railing. He was looking at Undyne.

"She had a rough night last night," Sans said quietly walking up next to him. "Let her sleep…"

"Undyne was drinking," Frisk said in an almost whisper. "Wasn't she?"

"Yeah," Sans said after hesitating for a few seconds. "How did you…?"

"There's a bottle on the floor," Frisk replied gesturing towards it with his finger.

"Oh."

"Sans, is Undyne an alcoholic?"

"No way. She wouldn't be in as good a shape as she's in now if she was."

"Okay, good. We'd have to force her to get her help if she was. My Mom's parents died because they drank too much and refused to get help…"

Frisk started hyperventilating, shedding a few tears, and talking even louder, "I saw buddies on the street die because they drank too much, too. I don't want that to happen to Undyne. I hate it when people drink too much…"

Sans could tell Frisk was on the verge of another breakdown, so he moved him away from the railing and put his hand on his shoulder.

"Shhhhhhhhh…It's okay," Sans said slowly to get Frisk to calm down. "Undyne's going to be fine. She only drank enough to give her a headache. She's not gonna die. Not from this anyway. Calm down. Just breathe."

Frisk breathed deeply for a minute and then said, "I'm sorry…"

Sans moved Frisk's chin so that they were looking at each other eye to eye and said, "Don't be. You saw something sad and the memories still upset you. That's normal. It means you're a person with feelings. Okay?"

"Okay."

Sans let go of his face and Frisk gave Sans another hug.

"Frisk, if you're gonna keep hugging me, would ya please shower?" Sans said. "You're disgusting."

Frisk let go and smiled.

"Come on," Sans said. "Let me show you how to get in."