The Emperor's Edge Ch. 14 Pt. 2

When Amaranthe woke, early morning light slipped between the boards across the windows, streaking the maze of hanging papers with slashes. She could have slept longer, much longer, and quickly identified the sound that had roused her.

Maldynado was chasing a chicken around the building. Shrill squawks bounced from the walls.

“Isabel,” he called. “Come back here, girl.”

Isabel? Amaranthe rubbed crud out of her eyes. He had named the chickens?

Books, manning the press, said, “Apparently you’re not as smooth with the women as you claim.”

“Oh, be quiet. You could help. Isabel, stop running!”

“I have real work to do.” Books had shaved his matted, unkempt beard, and would have looked good, except for his red-rimmed eyes and snow-pale face.

An alarmed curse brought her attention back to the chicken chase. After ramming his hip on a counter, Maldynado fell behind. Isabel rounded a corner and sprinted for the exit, her tiny claws clacking on the floorboards.

Sicarius appeared in the doorway. The chicken squawked and tried to dart past him. He bent and deftly plucked it from its escape route.

Maldynado skidded to a stop, arms flailing to keep from crashing into Sicarius. A stricken expression twisted his face as he looked back and forth from bird to man, as if he feared Sicarius would snap Isabel’s neck. Surprisingly, the agitated chicken calmed in his grip. Though his slitted gaze was cool, he extended his arms so Maldynado could take her.

Shaking her head, Amaranthe swung her legs over the edge of the bunk. Sicarius might be pragmatic to the point of deserving Books’s ‘utterly heartless’ tag, but he was not sadistic.

Maldynado accepted the chicken and headed back to the makeshift pen he had constructed. Isabel promptly began fussing in his tight grip. Amaranthe almost smiled, imagining Maldynado as an overprotective father, until Sicarius strode her way. Wholt’s slashed throat invaded her mind again. She closed her eyes against the vision.

When she opened them, Sicarius stood before her. He held out a sealed envelope. “A boy came to the dock with a message for you.”

Ugh, she wasn’t supposed to be getting mail here. That meant people knew where she was and possibly what she was doing.

“What is it?” she asked.

“I would not presume to read your private correspondences.” His tone was as warm as the ice under the dock.

Maybe Books was right. Maybe she should apologize. It wouldn’t hurt her, though it seemed a betrayal to Wholt’s spirit. Would it even mean anything to Sicarius? He never said “please” or “thank you” or seemed to have any use for social rituals.

She fiddled with the envelope. “Did you question the boy?” Perhaps it was one of the children she had seen spying on her.

“No.”

Amaranthe frowned up at him. “Why not?”

“If you would curse me for defending you from enforcers, I suspect you’d want me to interrogate a child even less.”

“I said question, not interrogate.”

“I don’t differentiate,” he said bluntly.

Jaw slack, she stared as he walked across the room and out the door. No, she did not need the image of a broken and battered child joining Wholt’s dead body in her mind. Emperor’s teeth, she would have to be careful what she asked Sicarius to do in the future.