Lynne blushed. "Oh," she said. "Well, Huan and I...we were together."

David raised his eyebrows. "Together?" he asked. "As in, together together?"

Lynne nodded. "Yes, as in, together together," she said. "We obviously had sex. How else does one create a child? Didn't I answer these questions last night already?"

David whistled. "Wow," he said. "Thanks for the answer, but that's not what I was asking. I never thought you two were a couple. I mean it does make sense though."

Lynne shrugged. "We weren't," she said. "Aren't. We've been hooking up on and off for years though. Don't tell anyone else that, it would only make things worse. But you know, sometimes things just happen. And for the record, I was never his side piece or sneaky link. We never cheated with each other or on any significant other when we hooked up. It was platonic and a means to an end."

David nodded. "I see," he said. "And the parentals didn't take the news of a new grandchild all that well?"

Lynne nodded again, putting her fork down and crossing her arms over her chest. "Yes," she said. "Daddy's reaction was akin to Vin and Julissa's. I can definitely see where they got it from."

David sighed. "I can imagine," he responded, eyes filled with compassion. "They shouldn't have jumped on you the way they did."

"Eh, I can't change how they reacted. They are grown. But at least it seems like momma and Huan's mom are ok with it," Lynne said, "I think."

David smiled. "I'm glad to hear that," he said.

Lynne smiled back. "Me too," she said. "But I may be counting my chickens a little presumptively."

"So, what are you going to do?" David asked, putting his fork down.

Lynne took a deep breath. "I'm going to be a mom," she said.

David's eyes widened. "And I'm going to be an uncle, again," he said with a laugh.

Lynne laughed too. "I'm glad you're happy for us," she said.

David smiled, showing off his near-perfect row of pearly whites. "Of course I am," he said. "You're my big sister. And I love you."

Lynne hugged David tightly. "I love you too, David," she said.

"Wow, you used my government name" he exclaimed with a chuckle, pulling back from the hug, reaching out a hand to place over her stomach. He froze half-way before he asked, "can I touch it?"

"Go right ahead. It's still small, but he or she is in there," she told him as she guided his hand to her small bump.

"Hello in there. I'm your uncle David. I'm going to be your favorite uncle, just you wait. Trust me, you'll have the most fun with me, rather than your uncles Vin & Kris. I think the only true competition I'm gonna have is with your uncle Javi. He can cook his ass off. But I'm gonna be the one to teach you how to dance, drink, and drive. But not in that order. That wouldn't be safe. I don't think your mom would approve."

Laughing at his antics, she looked her baby brother in the eyes and agreed "no, I definitely would not approve of teaching my child to drink and drive consecutively. Not a good look. I do give you free reign to make sure he or she is well-loved."

"That's a given, my dear sister."

"Thanks. Glad to hear," stretching her arms over her head to loosen up her shoulders, she asked him, "how's things going between you and Amara? I haven't had a chance to catch up with you much lately."

"Eh," he scratched the back of his neck. "We're on a bit of a break."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. She was really pleasant to get to know at Christmas."

"Yeah, we're not closing the door on things. We just had a discussion about what it was we wanted in a partner and a relationship. While we each fit several of what we were looking for in an ideal partner, we both felt like something was missing. So we agreed to date around, check-in with each other every week, and circle back in a couple of months to see if we were still in alignment or whether we want to move on to other people."

"Wow. Who would've thought that baby boy Prentice would be the most emotionally intelligent of us all?"

"Really funny, Lynne," he deadpanned.

"I am serious. It is very modern what you are doing. Do you know how secure in yourself and your partner that you have to be to make those types of decisions? The levels of trust you have to cultivate? It's not like you are doing this to exclusively cheat on each other or have a ho-phase. You're doing this to test the mettle of your relationship. I don't know if I'd ever be able to do that. Probably not."

"I don't know, Lynne. The relationship you have with Huan seems to be pretty emotionally mature in my eyes. Lifelong best-friends who are comfortable enough to share a bed with each other when the need arrives. Having a kid together. Doing the co-parent thing. It's pretty commendable in itself. You guys are an example of what the modern day American family may model someday."

Lynne felt a warm bubble of contentment spread throughout her body at her brother's kind words. They sat in companionable silence for the remainder of their meal.

Giving his shoulder a squeeze she told him,"I just want to let you know, I want to be like you when I grow up, Davvy."

"Now I know you're pulling my leg."

"Naw, never that. Just loving you. Anyhoo, what plans do you have for the day? Cause I may or may not need to use your muscles."

XXX

Several hours later, Lynne was walking the halls of Kensingtonna hospital. It was early afternoon and visiting hours had just started. If she remembered the schedule correctly, Huan should've been back from his therapy session. When she entered the room, she could see he was resting with his head on the pillows. As she approached the bed, she heard the even breathing and light snoring that indicated he was sleeping. The therapy sessions must be taking a lot out of him on top of everything else.

No matter, she had brought a book and sat down in the chair she had spent so many nights in and started reading. A few minutes went by when her cellphone chirped. Checking it, she saw a reminder for her to schedule a visit with Dr. Ulias to confirm that everything was ok with the baby. She was beyond overdue for this visit. It had been over a week since she had been admitted overnight and her return to work had caused her to miss her appointment. Deciding to bite the bullet, she got up from her seat, placed her book on the chair, grabbed her cellphone, and headed out into the hallway.

When she finally got in touch with the office, she was told there wasn't an available appointment until Tuesday morning. With no other choice, she secured the appointment, hung up the phone, and inputted the details into her calendar. Placing her phone in her pocket, she took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and rested her head against the window in the hallway. She now had three more days to prepare herself for the worst. Since she hadn't yet felt any flutters or kicks from the baby, her anxiety had nothing to run on but her impending sense of doom. As such, she hadn't allowed herself to fixate on the subject, which is why she was late on scheduling this appointment.

Lost in thought, she didn't hear the footsteps approaching her. "Do you know how many germs that window has on it for you to be leaning up against it like that" a deep voice asked in Mandarin before she was engulfed in an energetic hug that caused her to open her eyes. Rose was giving her a tight hug while Bao stood back with his arms crossed in front of his chest. "So what's this I hear about you and my cousin giving me a new relative?"

XXX

A/N: Greetings and salutations dear readers. I hope you are all well. Don't forget to choose love.