A Night of (Mis)Fortune II

Start from the beginning

"No need for that, we have a guest bedroom where you two can release your tension towards each other." Diane deviously added, causing the both of them to stare at her with dark eyes thick with disgust.

"You really have the weirdest thoughts," Bairon deadpans.

"Hey, go easy on her," Kaspian sarcastically defends as contained laughs escape from his mouth as soon as his eyes brightened in realization.

"I know that look..." Diane immediately pouts when she registers what he meant.

"You remember that don't you, Bairon?"

"Like it was just yesterday," He breathes out while taking another sip of wine, rolling his eyes when it ran dry of its contents.

"Don't you dare say it!" She threatens but it has no effect on the two, "You two airheads gang up on me at any given moment!"

"Ah yes, the genius prodigy who 'unintentionally' coated the professor with horse semen after an 'accident' with alchemy class."

While we were stuck with insulting each other as the main focal point of our conversations, in the corner of my eye, I notice a familiar presence lingering, just barely outside of my perception. His lustrous gray hair and pale skin stand out as the most noticeable features of his physique.

He stares at me, smiling before turning back to face someone he was talking with a while ago. Speaking of which, why wasn't he with Sir Alexander and Viscount Norock? I can always ask him, it's what he wants me to do, isn't it?

My head swivels back to the group, who were still bickering amongst each other with their voices muffled as my attention was focused on Grey. I cleared my throat, grabbing the attention of the three who turned their heads toward me, "I'll be gone for a while, now, while I'm away please refrain from killing yourselves."

"We're not children," The three of them speak in unison.

"I'll be seeing you three later." I waved them farewell before turning around.

As I inch closer to him, he shoots another glance at me with his sharp pale-wheat eyes before recalling his gaze on the person he's talking to. Like he was expecting me to come. One thing I've noticed about Grey was that he was very perceptive of his surroundings, he knows how to persuade people into liking him. When we were having our conversations, his eyes seem to peer right into my soul, as if attempting to read me with a book. I can only assume that every step of that conversation was calculated by him, as expected of a son of a versed merchant.

Within my fifth, or so step, he does the usual, however, he excuses himself to the lady he conversed with before making his way to the balcony. Very well, let's talk outside.

My heels clicked as I stride across the ballroom, reaching the balcony which was less occupied than inside. On the far left, I see a man leaning on the balcony with his back facing the smooth concrete railing. 

The first thing one would notice is the emerald brooch that rests on the ruffles of his white inner shirt, plated in a golden frame that was supported by slender brown laces. A black trench coat draped his entire body, while patterns embroidered with silver threads portrayed sophisticated patterns were weaved on his shoulders, along the coat's opening and both sides of the sleeves. A deep navy blue waistcoat concealed his inner garment, finishing with black trousers and shoes. His accessories were a simple leather belt, black gloves with red accents, and a walking cane that was green, tinted in deep blue with the design of a polished silver eagle head. 

What I do find intriguing is that, upon closer inspection, the end seems to resemble a hilt, a barely noticeable cut horizontally conceals itself. A one-handed sword disguised as a cane.