xxiv. california dreamimg

CALIFORNIA DREAMING

╔═*.·:·. .·:·.*═╗
chapter twenty-four

the flight to california, for the most part, was silent. the only times sage and mike spoke were to the flight attendants as they rolled their carts down the aisle.

however, sage could feel mikes eyes practically burning holes into the side of her face. "take a picture. it'll last longer." she spoke sassily, looking up. he turned away quickly.

she redirected her attention to her walkman, putting the headphones onto her ears.

mike interrupted a minute or two into the song. snatching the headphones and placing them on top of his own ears.
"let it be? isn't that a little— 70s?"

"oh please, the beatles will forever be iconic, wheeler." she rolled her eyes, (at this point they were going to get stuck at the back of her head) grabbing her walkman back and turning her head to the window.

it was worth a try.

*.·:·. .·:·.*

about an hour later, sage drifted off into a faint slumber. her head slowly fell onto mikes shoulder. he tensed at first, surprised by the sudden contact, but then he relaxed, even nuzzling his head further against the pink-haired girl next to him.

sage awoke when they were about to land, awkwardly shaking the wheeler boy awake as well.

just the thought that she would be seeing her friends in a short amount of time made her smile. yes, sage mayfield smiled. and mike realized it was the first time he had seen the sight in a while.

he couldn't ignore the flutter in his stomach when she did.

*.·:·. .·:·.*

as the two walked off the plan and into the california airport, they saw four people. will, el, jonathan, and jonathan's new friend argyle sage was informed about over the phone, courtesy of will. el wrote her a letter a little while later, including a part about smelly leaves that jonathan and his new friend smoked together in it that will seemed to leave out.

sage almost dropped her bags as she ran towards her best friend. once she got to him, she almost dragged him down with her hug. "will!"

"sage!" he exclaimed. "we have so much to catch up on!"

"i know! just a second, let me say hi to the others." she turned to eleven, the girl was smiling ear-to-ear, and sage returned it. "el!"