ix. the fight

THE FIGHT

╔═*.·:·. .·:·.*═╗
chapter nine

el tightly hugged mike.

"is that..." max asked and lucas and dustin nodded.

"i never gave up on you." mike cried, "i called you every night for—"

"353 days." she finished, "i heard."

"why didn't you tell me you were there?" he asked, "that you were okay?"

"because i wouldn't let her." hopper stepped in, hugging el, "what the hell is this? where have you been?"

"where have you been?" she repeated, hugging him back.

"you've been hiding her." mike realized, and started hitting him, "you've been hiding her this whole time!"

"hey!" hopper grabbed him, "let's talk. alone."

they walked into a room, and max and sage looked at each other. how did they get into this mess?!

el hugged lucas and dustin next.

"we missed you." lucas smiled.

"i missed you, too."

"we talked about you pretty much every day." dustin said as they pulled away from the hug. el put her fingers in dustins teeth.

"teeth." she said.

"what?" he asked.

"you have teeth."

he smiled. "oh, you like these pearls?" and purred again.

"eleven? hi! i'm max. and this is my sister sage." she smiled and they both held their hands out.

"we've heard a lot about you." sage said, wondering if she'd remember her from the lab.

but she didn't, and she didn't shake their hands either. she just walked right past them. they turned to each other with confused looks.

they walked over to el and joyce while they were talking about her closing the gate.

"it's not like it was before, it's grown." hopper sighed, "a lot. i mean, that's considering we can get in there. the place is crawling with those dogs."