Cressida blushed but she hadn't taken her eyes off the manuscript.

"I want you to read it and then tell me that you still can't admit that you love my son," Sally said and Cressida was already reading the first page. "I'll bring you some food," she said as she kissed her head.

"Thank you," Cressida replied as she made herself comfortable, and not only did she devour the food that Sally brought her, but she devoured the story.

Sally had changed their names which made it easier for her to see a story about her and her boyfriend from a different point of view.

Peter and Cassie's story was heartbreaking, and moving and it was incredibly loving. No matter what challenges they faced, they always found their way back to each other. The idea that they didn't love each other after everything they went through was completely absurd. Cressida almost found it completely insane that, that was supposed to be her in the story. Sure, Sally had changed a few things around, swapped out some scenarios for others, took out some of the worse monsters and magic and changed some of the names, and embellished on a few things and sugar-coated a few others but it was their story. It was the last five years of her life on paper.

And when she got to the end, to that underwater kiss, she hugged the manuscript to her chest, silent tears dripping down her face as she got up.

Sally and Paul were sitting on the sofa watching a movie when Cressida walked into the room and Sally muted the screen when she saw her.

"I- I love Percy," she admitted finally. "I love Percy and I'm going to get him back."

And Sally only stood as she went over to hug the girl. "There is no doubt in my mind that you will."

But now that she was here, minutes away from seeing him again, she was so incredibly nervous. And the fact that the Romans might kill them had nothing to do with it.

Annabeth took her hand eventually as she stopped her from pacing. "Are you ready?"

Cressida took a deep breath. "No. But I've waited long enough."

"That you have," Annabeth agreed. "And it's going to be just fine. Though I imagine you're planning a dramatic entrance?"

Cressida's smile was small. "I'm assuming that question is rhetorical?"

"I'm assuming that's a yes," Annabeth laughed. "Let's go get Percy back."

And the warship descended through the clouds.

The Argo II definitely did not look friendly. Two hundred feet long, with a bronze-plated hull, mounted repeating crossbows fore and aft, a flaming metal dragon for a figurehead, and two rotating ballistae amidships that could fire explosive bolts powerful enough to blast through concrete...well, it wasn't the most appropriate ride for a meet-and-greet with the neighbours.

Their three other crewmates took their places.

On the stern quarterdeck, Leo rushed around like a madman, checking his gauges and wrestling levers. Most helmsmen would've been satisfied with a pilot's wheel or a tiller. Leo had also installed a keyboard, monitor, aviation controls from a Learjet, a dubstep soundboard, and motion-control sensors from a Nintendo Wii. He could turn the ship by pulling on the throttle, fire weapons by sampling an album, or raise sails by shaking his Wii controllers really fast. Even by demigod standards, Leo was seriously ADHD. Piper paced back and forth between the mainmast and the ballistae, practising her lines. "Lower your weapons," she murmured. "We just want to talk."

Ever since Cressida had amplified her powers to bring back Jason, her charmspeak had gotten a lot more powerful. For a child of Aphrodite, Piper tried hard to play down her beauty. Today she was dressed in tattered jeans, worn-out sneakers, and a white tank top with pink Hello Kitty designs.

Then there was Piper's boyfriend—Jason. He stood at the bow on the raised crossbow platform, where the Romans could easily spot him. His knuckles were white on the hilt of his golden sword. Otherwise, he looked calm for a guy who was making himself a target. Over his jeans and orange Camp Half-Blood T-shirt, he'd donned a toga and a purple cloak—symbols of his old rank as praetor.

Annabeth stood at Cressida's side in denim shorts and a camp t-shirt, her hair in its usual ponytail.

As for Cressida, well she'd probably changed her outfit four times out of anxiety before ending up in the first thing she put on. She wore a black tank top with the letters ACDC printed on it, and light blue skinny jeans with rips in the knees along with her purple Doc Martins. Her camp necklace with its nine beads was around her neck while her charm bracelet rested on her wrist, her switchblade in her boot as usual. Her hair was braided down her right shoulder, the white streak in her hair not as visible as before. Over the last few months, the grey strands that she shared with Annabeth had started fading. Another thing she didn't know how to feel about.

And then they saw New Rome.

Ringed by the Oakland Hills, the valley was at least twice the size of Camp Half-Blood. A small river snaked around one side and curled toward the centre like a capital letter G, emptying into a sparkling blue lake. Directly below the ship, nestled at the edge of the lake, the city of New Rome gleamed in the sunlight. Jason had told them about a few things, the hippodrome, the coliseum, the temples, the parks, the neighbourhood of Seven Hills with its winding streets, colourful villas and flowering gardens.

There was evidence of a battle while dozens of kids in togas were streaming out of the Senate House to get a better view of the Argo II. More Romans emerged from the shops and cafés, gawking and pointing as the ship descended.

And Cressida took a deep breath as she squeezed Annabeth's hand tighter. Because it was like always, she could feel his eyes on her - or at least on the ship.

Percy was down there somewhere. He was close.