𝐁𝐑𝐀𝐕𝐄

TEN YEARS AGO
seraphite island.
ten yrs old

I put on my white dress. I looked into the mirror and saw my reflection. My hair was tied up.

"Aww. It looks beautiful." My mother came into my room and sat on my bad. "Come here, let me tie it."

She pulled me close and grabbed the strings of my dress. "Are you afraid?"

"No." I responded and she nodded. "Good." My mother told me as she tied the back of my dress. "Be brave." My mom turned me around to face her. "It will only hurt for a second... I promise."

I was excited to get my scars, not scared. Sure it would hurt, but then i'd be a real member of society. I will look like all of the adults. I will be like everyone else.

"You ready?" My mom asked and I smiled. "Yes."

"Yeah?" She shook me a little. "Let's go." She stood up and we walked to where the ceremony was being placed.

I felt a mixture of nervousness and excitement as I waited for my name to be called. I was just nervous for the pain. The kids before me yelled in pain. Some even had to be held down by their parents. I prayed that I wouldn't have to be held down. It would make me feel weak and humiliated.

They called my name and I walked up to Samuel, the man who preformed the ceremony. The night was dark and lit up by fire.

I sat down in front of him and he wiped his blade on a cloth. The knife was curved and sharp. I gulped down as he brought it up to the air. "May you feel her love." He told me as he put the knife on my face. I felt the blade touch my cheek, right next to my mouth.

I shut my eyes as I felt the sharpness. The blade dug into my skin and scratched my face. I reframed from yelling in pain. It hurt so bad. My eyes watered and I put my hand on his. It was my way of telling him to stop, but he put my hand down. "Almost done."

What was two seconds, felt like three hours. He finally took his blade off when he reached my ear.

I let out a breath and began crying. "It hurts." I sobbed as I felt the blood dripping down my cheek. It stung.

"One more side left." Samuel grabbed a cloth and pressed it to the side of my face.

It hurt so bad. I looked over at my mother who stood in the crowd. She looked nervous, but the minute she noticed me staring, she smiled. "I'm so proud." She mouthed.

I was making her proud.

I calmed down my hard breathing and pulled myself together.

"Good, Y/n." Samuel removed the cloth. "Now the other side." He cleaned his blade and put it up to my cheek. I closed my eyes ready for the pain.

After the ceremony, I went to my mother.

I cried and immediately hugged her.

"It's okay." She whispered grabbing my head. "You did great." She kissed me. "You did so good, baby."

"Isabella." A soldier came up to us and my mother looked up. "Yes?"

"Come here." He signaled and she kissed me once more. "I'll be back."

They began talking. He told her something which made her freeze. I watched as her hands began to shake as they covered her mouth. Tears fell down her eyes.

"I'm sorry." He said and she nodded. "Okay..." She walked over to me and put her hand on my back. "Come on. Let's go home. I'll make you
something special, my brave girl." She still had tears in her eyes.