Chapter 19

"I'm sorry."

Your brows furrowed at the voice you heard.

It felt so close. Someone was there, and they were holding your hand. When you see the familiar locks, you look up.

"Tarou-ni..?"

Tarou looked down, a solemn smile on his face.

"How are you feeling?"

You sat up slowly, rubbing your eyes. Your throat felt sore, and your eyes hurt a little, but aside from that you were fine.

"I'm okay." You mumble.

Now that you are awake, the events seem to run back through your head. You pulled your hand out of his grasp, and Tarou reached for you out of instinct. He grabbed your hand, and you jumped at the action. His eyes were shaking, and when he noticed how tight his grip was, he let go immediately.

You lower your eyes.

"I'm sorry that I let you down Ni-san."

"You didn't. I was the one who let you down. I was wrong about everything." Your head lifts, and you can only stare.

"What do you...mean?"

Tarou's teeth grit.

"Your abilities, they don't steal spiritual pressure, they only mimic it. This entire time you've been replicating power from those around you. Those glasses have been trapping all that energy into your body. The only reason Ichigo got hurt is because you accidentally transferred some of your own power into his body. Because he has both hollow and reaper powers, when you send the very same signature into his body, it had a negative effect. Because I forced you to wear those glasses all these years, your body never learned to control it. I've been trying so hard to suppress your power rather than help you understand it. I was arrogant, and it almost cost you everything."

He still wouldn't look at you, and you can see the tears hitting the futon.

"Please..p-please forgive m-"

"I love you Tarou."

He looked up quickly. Shocked was too little a word to describe his expression. You were smiling at him brightly.

"You've always tried to protect me, just like you promised. Thank you Tarou-ni. I love you so much." His shoulders shook, and this time he couldn't stop himself, he pushed forward, pulling you into his arms, and you returned the embrace.

"It's okay. It's all going to be okay."