Just Fine Chapter 4

“Riley?” Is this real life?

“Oh hey!  I was wondering if I could bum a ride?” Riley comes forward and I notice she isn’t wearing any shoes. “I lost them.”

“Lost what?” I ask, still amazed by the current situation.

Riley wiggles her toes and points to her feet, “My shoes. How about that ride?”

I nod and climb into the truck and Riley is already in the passenger’s seat. She moves so fast. I take a look in the rearview mirror and shake my head at what I see, then stop when I notice Riley is watching.  I turn the ignition and the truck roars. I can feel her eyes burning into me and it made me somewhat uneasy. I gripped the cracked leather of the steering wheel and focused on whatever I could find that wasn’t Riley.

“Are you OK?”,  Riley asks and reaches for my hand which I jerk away. “Am I making you uncomfortable? I can hitch I ride elsewhere.”

“No. Uh, it’s just been a weird night and a fucked up week. It’s thrown me off my feet a bit.” I finally look at her and she smiles and a worm calm comes over me. “Where am I taking you?”

Riley lives on the outskirt of town. Literally. I pulled up in front of a small one level house. Looking at it, it couldn’t be more than a kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, and maybe a living room. The lawn was out of control and had taken over most of the walkway. The house was painted a lavender that is now fading and chipping along with the white trim. Riley hops out of the truck, breaking me away from the house, and I watch her walk in front of the truck to my window. She leans in and I could smell her. She smelled sweet and like she had been outside all day. I liked it.

“So I don’t have any cash to fill up your tank but I can make sure you head home on a full stomach if you don’t mind coming in”, she says with a smile.

“Um OK why not?” I kill the engine and follow her to the front door which was unlocked.

“It’s not much but its home”, and she disappears into the darkness. I hear the flicking of light switches but the darkness still remained. Riley returned with a candle illuminating her face. “I guess we are having dinner by candle light!”

We placed candles all over the house until there was a soft warm glow. Riley heats up some leftover Indian take out and we now sit on pillows in the living room. There isn’t any furniture in the small room, just five big decorative pillows. Riley sits across from me putting spoon full after spoon full of food in her mouth which makes me laugh.

“So how did you lose your shoes?” I ask.

“I traded them for a ride to the beach”, she answered without missing a beat. “I don’t like shoes much anyway.”

“What do you do all day at the beach?”

She looks up from her plate just for a moment then goes back to eating, “I watch the water.”

“What are you watching for?”

She shrugs her shoulders.

“How did you end up at the party?”

“Well I was at the beach and it was getting late and I was getting hungry so I walked into town to find something since it was closer than walking back home. I saw your truck, I remembered it from the beach, and then I noticed there was music and I followed it. The door was open so I invited myself in.” She smiled and went back to eating.

I wanted to ask more questions but I realized she was focused on her food and not me for once so I took this chance to take her in. Her hair falls in messy clumps of brown curls around her shoulders. I had a brief pang of jealously that she had the ability to make messy and clumpy look good. I don’t know if it’s this lighting or not but her skin looks soft and seems to have a warm glow. Her lips look even softer; the top lip is fuller than the bottom which intrigued me. That pang of jealousy returned when I saw her breasts.  Hers puts mine to shame. Ten times over. Kendal always joked that the reason for my lack of growth is that I have spent so many years in the water that they have been shrinking away and pretty soon I’ll just have wrinkly nipples. Riley starts laughing and for a moment I thought I had said that out loud.

“What?” I ask confused.

She just laughs harder.

“What the hell is so funny?”

“You. Staring at me. What you looking for?” Riley starts to move closer to me. “See something you like Kira?” A fuse busts in my brain and I forget how to talk or move. Riley’s face is so close I can feel her breath.

Then she kisses me.