Chapter 1: Just the Beginning

Start from the beginning

"Call it."

"Time of death: 8:41 pm"

Population: 244

The news of the young girl quickly spread as the Local Lochby News reporter arrived at the scene of the crime. A middle-aged woman with blond hair and too much makeup jumped out of the news van, followed by a frantic cameraman.

"Make sure I'm in focus at all times, or I'll find someone who is competent enough to take your place," the reporter stated.

"Yes ma'am," the cameraman replied, avoiding eye contact.

"Jerry, you better not pull that stunt from last week at the bake sale where my knees were in the shot after I told you that I was having a bad leg day. I have worked too hard, and this is going to be the biggest story in Lochby history. When have you ever heard of a hit-and-run here? Never. If you make me look bad, you are so screwed."

"Yes ma'am, I apologize for last week. My arms were tired from holding the camera all day because you wanted to keep checking your makeup. I will try my best to be better, ma'am," Jerry said as he repositioned the camera to prevent having to take more pain relievers for his shoulder later.

The two checked the reporter's makeup before going live. Jerry motioned for the reporter to speak. Three. Two. One.

"I am Martha Walters, and this is Local Lochby News coming live at the scene where a young girl was injured in what appears to be a hit-and-run on Heart Avenue. She was rushed to St. Michael's Hospital, and we have no further information on her status. We do, however, have one of the fine citizens of Lochby who noticed the girl in the road and helped her."

A woman messed with her hair before coming into the view of the camera. She grabbed the microphone from the reporter and immediately began to speak.

"Hi everyone. My name is Fiona Culton. You all may know me from the bake sale last week at the church. I made the brownies that were to die for. It was a marvelous day! If you missed out, we will be hosting a potluck on the Fourth of July so bring your best dishes. I know I will. See you there, everyone!"

The woman was about the leave when the reporter snatched the microphone back from her. Martha's brows furrowed with annoyance at Fiona. Her eyes that were once seen as innocent, were now pierced with rage toward the woman. The camera definitely caught it.

"Fiona, we wanted to discuss what happened to the girl and how you found her, if you don't mind me asking. I'll hold onto the microphone for now. You can just focus on telling us your side of the story. We all want to know what happened to the poor girl," the reporter retorted and her face went back to its artificial innocence.

Fiona began, "Well my husband and I were saying goodbye to a friend after having a game night. We were walking her out when we saw the girl in the road. She looked about ten years old to me. Our friend called the sheriff, and my husband wanted to check her pulse. I was against it at first because I have seen movies where the bodies should not be moved after an accident, and, frankly, I didn't want my husband touching a dead girl. He insisted and found a faint pulse. I was over joyous that she was fine! She was sent off to the hospital shortly afterwards. Can I go now? I really can't stay any longer Martha. I have a pot roast in the oven. It's a new recipe."

"Thank you...Mrs. Culton. You've heard it here folks, a tragedy such as this has struck this town for the first time in history. I am Martha Walters and this is Local Lochby News. Tune in next time. Good night, Lochby."

The news channel was on in every residents' homes that night. They all grew worried and prayed for the little girl's recovery. They didn't know that twenty-five minutes before, the little girl's soul had left Lochby, and her body was being prepared to be identified. In a home three blocks away from Heart Avenue, a single man noticed his missing daughter, turned off his television, and rushed to St. Michael's Hospital where he heard the news about his daughter. In a home not too far from the hospital, a citizen was becoming overly wary.

"It's such a shame what happened to that little girl. I can only imagine what her parents must be going through. Just the thought of you being hurt like that makes my blood boil," Lori Hatfield, a worrying mother, expressed.

"It's insane. What kind of jerk would just leave her there to die anyway? Gina Hatfield asserted as her anger soon became sadness.

Her mother could see the deep sadness in her eyes and tried to ease it with some light humor. She knew the situation was too serious and would consume her thoughts, but she figured she'd at least try to console her daughter.

"You know, I never liked that news reporter, Martha Walters. She was so two-faced in high school, and I doubt someone like her changes. She needs to be put in her place. Now I'm not saying that she needs to be slapped, but maybe that would take some of that makeup off as well, you know?"

Gina looked at her mother in shock as to what she had just said. Lori gave her daughter a big smirk, and they both began to burst into laughter. She called her mother mean and left for her room. Closing the door behind her, she plopped onto her bed, face first. Because she was terrible at holding her breath, she realized that was not smart of her and immediately lifted her head. She breathed in the fresh air as if she just resurfaced from swimming. There was one thing that was biting at her. She'd never heard of crime of any sorts in Lochby. She simply said one thing and drifted off to sleep.

"Why do I feel like there's more to come from all this?"