Chapter 3

The next few school days were pretty uneventful, and I got more into the rhythm of school. Today was the first GSA meeting of the year, and it was all I could think about all day.

I went to all my classes, hardly paying any attention. I was fidgety the entire day and when the bell rang signaling the end of the school day, I was more than ready to pack up my stuff and go to the school's auditorium, where the GSA meetings were held.

I unlocked my locker and began to put books away and organize all my homework things. I felt a tap on my back and turned around to see Jacqueline, one of the GSA members. She was in my psychology class and we had hung out before. She was pretty cool.

"Hey Jacky, what's up?" I asked her, simultaneously closing my locker.

"Nothing much! I just wanted to let you know that the meetings are now going to be held in the World History room." She said, walking alongside me.

The WH room? Meaning, my fourth period classroom? Meaning Mr. Fuentes' room?

Does this mean that he's the new moderator?

My question was answered when Jacqueline and I walked into the room. Mr. Fuentes was sitting in the circle of desks and was talking animatedly with someone.

Jacky cleared her throat and the teacher looked at us. The room which was previously filled with chatter became quiet.

"Hey there Kellin, how are you? I don't know if you've been told, but I'm the new moderator." He smiled warmly and walked over to me.

"I hear that you're president?" I nodded my head and sat at one of the desks.

I called the meeting to order and everyone took a seat, including Mr. Fuentes.

"Hey guys. I see some new faces so let me introduce myself. I'm Kellin, and as most of you know, I am gay. I founded this club in in ninth grade with Mr. Morrissey and last year, I was elected president. I am looking forward to planning and talking with you guys." Everyone nodded and smiled.

"Alrighty, so let's get acquainted? I'm thinking we can go around the circle and I have some handouts here with some objectives for this year?" I said, although my tone of voice made it come out like a question.

"I think that's a great idea. Can I go first?" asked Mr. Fuentes.

I nodded, silently giving him my permission (not that he really needed it).

"Well," he started, "I'm Mr. Fuentes, obviously... but you can all call me Vic, but only during these meetings or outside of class, okay? I just moved over here from New York City, and I got my BA in education and my Master's degree in History. And well, I'm gay."

The one became eerily quiet as we all absorbed that information. I mean, how were we supposed to react?

"Thanks for sharing, Mr. Fu-Vic. Anyone else?"

-

The meeting finished at around 4:30 pm, after we reviewed some plans and decided that our first event would be attending the Pride Parade in the city next month. Mr. Fuentes, or Vic, as he told us to call him, was pretty mysterious as a teacher and I was surprised at his confession to us. He usually seemed very closed off, so he must have felt very comfortable around us.

I stood at the door bidding everyone good bye. Once they all left, it was just Mr. Fuentes and I left in the classroom. It was awkwardly silent as we gathered our things and arranged the desks into the rows that had been placed after the first day of school.

"So, Mr. Fuentes-"

"Vic." He cut me off, sending a grin my way as he locked the door to his classroom. We walked down the corridor, making our way to the exit located at the end.

I coughed and cleared my throat. "Yeah, um, Vic. So thanks for taking over, I guess. It means a lot to me. This club is everything to me so, uh, thanks. Yea." I looked down at the floor and blushed. Vic chuckled and nudged my shoulder.

"No problem kid. You have a lot of ambition. Keep at it." He smiled and stopped in front of the door.

"So, uh, guess I'll see you tomorrow." He said, pushing open the door, letting a cool breeze in. He gave me a one sided grin and walked away, leaving me with a fluttering sensation in my tummy.

-

The next day, things seemed really... off. I woke up soaked in sweat once again, the product of a weird nightmare. After I woke up, I couldn't go back to sleep, as per usual. It was 7:15, so it was the perfect time to wake up.

I completed my morning routine, took Hailey to school, and got to school with Laurel. I don't know why, but I just couldn't shake off these bad vibes. The school day went by extremely slowly, and by the time lunch hit, I was ready to go home.

I got on the lunch line with Laurel, and we went over to our usual lunch table. We were about to sit down when the school's secretary, Mrs. Secant, walked into the cafeteria, looking frazzled and stressed. She looked around and met my eyes, then began walking over to our table.

"What did you do know Kells?" whispered Laurel worriedly.

"Nothing, I-"

I was cut off by Mrs. Secant arriving and pulling me out separately. We walked over to her office in silence and we arrived, she motioned for me to sit down.

"Kellin, honey, this isn't going to be easy for you to hear but, your mother called to say she's coming to pick you up. Your father passed away."

-

I am back to writing again! I have exams coming up but I will be updating every week on either Friday, Saturday, or Sunday! Check out my other Kellic, "The Drug in Me Is You". Its a Kellic co write which will be updated very frequently.