Harbingers of death

Start from the beginning

They moved down a small trench line and they snapped the neck of an insurgent guard. There were about a dozen insurgents just ahead the square which divided their position via a sewer tunnel. A death trooper threw 4 plasma detonators after another which killed half of them in a single go. They split up and took cover and then starting blasting. ''You bastard!'' an insurgent shouted before being blasted to oblivion by a death trooper. They continued moving forward, killed the last 2 remaining guards and proceeded to the slum areas.

''Be careful down there. The native Sullustans are trying to raze the slums.'' the lieutenant warned the death troopers who continued advancing into the slum areas which was burning. Rockets were shot and detonators thrown without seemingly any real target.

The death troopers shot an insurgent soldier dead then continued moving forward. A refurbished AT-RT came down to blast the death troopers who immediately took cover. They fired at the AT-RT without mercy and one of them threw a detonator which destroyed it. They continued forward, killing any insurgent that came and were stuck in the middle of a square as enemy reinforcements came. The death troopers threw grenades and started to use their jetpacks to gain an advantage. A death trooper got hold of a rocket launcher then shot it at an AT-RT which destroyed it. They flew up and threw plasma grenades which stunned the insurgents. They then rained down fire and destroyed the last AT-RT. They advanced again, killing the last insurgent in the area and then moving onto the railway station. ''You can get inside by commandering a control post in that area. It's used to stop and redirect trains to go to a particular area. Hack into it and we can send you into the facility.'' the lieutenant informed the death troopers.

The squad came to the railway station and sniped an unsuspecting insurgent guard. Using hand signals, the leader ordered 2 of them to go down and one to follow him. He and another death trooper went up the bridge and threw a plasma grenade which stunned an insurgent soldier. They blasted their way through the meager defenses of 7 insurgent guards and then hacked into the command post. ''That should do it. It will take about a minute and a half till the controls can be fully ours. Till then, you have to fight off the incoming reinforcements of enemy soldiers.'' the lieutenant said. The death trooper leader got back up on the bridge while two others came down to protect the train. The insurgents brought defense droids to help them.
______________________________________

-outside Central City-

Shadow troopers aboard AT-ATs were starting to complain since the ride was bumpy. Sullust's terriain didn't help either. It was 4 hours since deployment and currently about 30 minutes since I got confirmation that the death troopers had begun their mission. ''My bones ain't gonna take much more of this rattling. How much longer till we're there?'' a trooper asked his friend.

''Come on man. There's still like half an hour left.'' his friend replied.

''With all this ruckus, that feels like an even longer ass time than it should be.'' the trooper remarked.

''Yeah. It sure does, doesn't it?''

''Something troubling you, captain Kassus?'' I asked the captain. ''Your late cousin was a good soldier and my best friend as well. He wasn't afraid to share his discomforts with me. You shouldn't be too.''

''Sir, I've been feeling pretty upset that the emperor is cutting the annual budget of the army in favour for the navy and other organizations. Some are even saying that the army is becoming obsolete.'' the captain said and I realized his worry. The emperor has been cutting the funds for the army so that it could be directed to the Death Star. ''What do you think about this, sir?''

''The army is and will not become obsolete, captain. It is a requirement for warfare. Some arrogant commanders in the navy may think a war can be won by simply bombing their enemy but that's not entirely the case. Some will survive and that's where we army grunts come in. We are sent in to destroy the survivors and occupy the enemy territory and not to mention we are trained for dealing with ship boarding and large engagements. There is intel that needs to be gathered. Intel that cannot be recovered should bombardments destroy everything. We are far from obsolete, captain. Any navy commander who thinks so is misinformed but any army commander who thinks they can win an all out war without support is arrogant.'' I told the captain who nodded his head in understanding.