Chapter 40: The Grown-Up Way Of Love

Start from the beginning

"What? No, it's all right." The elderly scoffed again, furrowing his eyebrows a bit. "You look weaker than me, young man. You're too small and skinny."

"He's a good-looking man. What are you talking about?" the elderly woman countered back at her husband, with a frowning face.

"No, Sir, it's okay. I insist, please. Have my seat." Takemichi let out a sheepish chuckle before finally getting the elderly man to sit on his spot.

"Did we make you boys uncomfortable? We didn't mean to." The elderly woman smiled apologetically at the boys who were now standing in front of the old couple.

"Oh no, not at all." Baji and Takemichi reassured them in unison.

"You two look like college students. Are you going to your college now?" the woman asked with curiosity.

"No, we're actually heading to work. And we are late." Baji responded back with a sheepish chuckle.

"We are going to our grandson's office too." The woman stated in an excited tone, smiling again before pulling out her cell phone from her bag. "We want to see him, even if it's just for a short while. Do you want to see him? He has a weird hairstyle, but he has a handsome face."

"You silly old woman, you're bothering the young lads." Her husband lightly scolded the woman.

"Not at all, Sir!" Takemichi reassured him with another bright smile.

"See? Isn't he a cute little boy?" the woman asked as she held up her phone, her cell phone screen facing them and upon seeing the picture, the young boys then realized that their grandson was someone they knew of and were familiar with.

It was Atsushi Sendo aka Akkun. Meaning, this elderly couple was Akkun's paternal grandparents aka Grandpa Sendo and Grandma Sendo.

Later the boys and the elderly couple got off at the same station together. The boys then finally introduced themselves as Akkun's friends to his grandparents and after getting acquainted with them, they helped the couple by leading them to Akkun's apartment where he lived there all by himself.

"Grandma! Grandpa! What a nice surprise!" Akkun greeted his grandparents warmly in front of his doorstep, overly excited and happy to see them there.

"Oh, my cute little puppy!" Grandma Sendo greeted back by pulling her grandson into a bear hug.

"It's so hot today. Why did you come all the way here?" Akkun asked.

"School's on break, but you haven't come to see us. So we oldies came instead. We have a lot of time on our hands." Grandpa Sendo scoffed in a sarcastic tone.

"Don't be mean to my puppy, you old man. He's busy working!" Grandma Sendo snapped at her husband.

"I didn't say anything. I'm praising him, that's all." Grandpa Sendo responded with a frowning face, defending himself.

Akkun then turned to face Takemichi and Baji and his smile widened a bit in appreciation.

"Takemichi, Baji-kun, thanks for bringing my grandparents here from the station." Akkun thanked them with a smile.

"It's nothing, really!" Takemichi grinned back at his friend with a small blush on his cheeks. "Glad we could help!"

But Baji didn't say anything back to Akkun in response as he was busy observing the elderly couple. Seeing them bicker and banter with each other back and forth reminded him of himself and Nana when they would also have playful arguments with one another, teasing each other from time to time; something that kept their relationship somewhat exciting and spicy. A smile curled up on Baji's lips and a soft expression adorned his features when he thought about Nana at that moment.