4: She'll be Back

Fang's POV
____________________________

I try to open Elizabeth's door, but I find it's locked. I knock lightly. "Liz, open up," No response. "I mean it. Open the door," Still no response. Elizabeth Hope Ride, now." When only silence answers me, I feel above the door frame and find a key. "Why'd we even get these kids doors that lock?" I grumble to myself, sticking the key in the key hole, opening the door. I find an empty room. Elizabeth?"

I look around, but there's no one in the room. Everything is in it's place, except for one thing. The window is open. I go over and look out, but only see the tops of the trees of the dark woods around out house. "Maybe she just went for a fly.." But I start to doubt it. I close the window partially, keeping it cracked for when she returned.

I go back in the hall, returning the key to its original place on top of the door. I go back into the living room, catching sight of may laying on the couch, Nick asleep on her chest. I smile at the sight. I sit on the arm of the couch, nudging Max awake. Her eyes fly open, tensing up. But when she sees me, she relaxes.

"How is he?" I ask softly, trying to avoid waking him.

Max nods. "He's okay. I think he has a photographic memory. He told me he remembers everything he saw of heard. Like, he remembers seeing me when he was just a baby," she pauses, looking down at Nick, pushing hair out of his eyes.

I smile. "We discovered that on his first birthday. He kept asking about why the girl from the island wasn't here to celebrate.." I change the subject quickly, seeing Max's face drop. "I say it's his super power. He remembers, he loves that you're back."

"What about Elizabeth?"

"She went out for a fly. She'll be back." I say reassuringly.

Max nods, leaning her head against my thigh, and whispers, "She's not gonna believe me. She'll just go around believing that I'm the one who will replace her mother."

"Max. You are their mother. And she'll believe you, sooner or later. She's just skeptical at the moment. Wouldn't you be?" I ask, already knowing the answer.

Max nods, looking up at me, a look I've never seen before in her eyes.

"You look tired. How about you get some sleep?" I ask quietly.

Max stands slowly, trying to not wake Nick. She hands him to me,

"Yeah. Goodnight." She walks down the hall and into our room without another word.